CRIMINALS put behind bars in April for Dorset offences include three young thugs who burgled a family home, a drug dealer who peddled Class As while on bail and a robber who threatened shop staff with a syringe.

The courts are dealing with more and more cases, including jury trials, as the national lockdown easing continues.

The list below includes 12 offenders that were put behind bars by judges last month.

Their combined sentences totalled 54 years and and two weeks' imprisonment.

Some of them could be released on licence part way through their time behind bars, while several were issued with extended licence periods as they were deemed to be "dangerous offenders".

All of the criminals committed offences in Dorset, with the cases heard at Bournemouth Crown Court and Poole Magistrates' Court.

The offenders' names and a summary of what led to them appearing in the dock are as follows:

Jack Dodds, Joshua Jackson and a boy

Bournemouth Echo:

Three people were jailed following a violent burglary at a family home in Ferndown.

Jack Dodds, 21 and of Bure Lane in Christchurch, Joshua Jackson, 18 and of no fixed abode, and a 16-year-old boy from Bournemouth who cannot be named for legal reasons, were all sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Tuesday, April 13.

Dodds (pictured above) was found guilty following a trial at the same court in November 2020 of offences of aggravated burglary, criminal damage and two counts of unlawful wounding. He was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

Jackson admitted offences of aggravated burglary and common assault and the 16-year-old boy admitted offences of aggravated burglary and two counts of unlawful wounding at an earlier hearing.

Jackson was handed a seven-and-a-half-year prison term and the 16-year-old boy was jailed for six and a half years.

All three defendants were made the subject of an extended licence period of three years.

The aggravated burglary saw the three young thugs storm into the Ford Lane property at night after threatening a mother at knife point.

A terrified child saw his father get violently attacked and left unconscious in the horrifying home raid.

The burglars attacked the couple with "gratuitous violence", which was witnessed by their six-year-old son, before they stole £1,600 which had been saved for a honeymoon.

They then made off from the Ferndown home in a BMW, sparking a major police pursuit which ended in them being detained on the A31.

William Palmer

Bournemouth Echo: William Palmer, of Wisteria Drive, Verwood

A man who groomed a girl and forced her to perform a sex act on him was jailed for two years and eight months.

William Palmer, 23 and of Wisteria Drive, Verwood, manipulated” the child over several months by exchanging explicit photographs on Snapchat.

During a hearing at Bournemouth Crown Court on April 9, Judge Jonathan Fuller QC described Palmer’s actions, which developed over a “significant period of time”, as “typical manipulation” of a child.

In police interview, Palmer initially denied receiving or sending any pictures, stating someone must have hijacked his account.

Under further questioning, Palmer broke down in tears and admitted there had been an exchange of messages but claimed the girl had asked him to send images.

When asked about sexual activity, he again denied it before making admissions and suggesting it was consensual and instigated by the teenager.

In court, Palmer accepted this was not the case and he in fact instigated the messaging and sexual activity.

He admitted charges of engaging in sexual communication with a child and engaging in non-penetrative sexual activity with a child under the age of 16.

Ayahya Khan

Bournemouth Echo: Ayahya Khan, 26 and of Anjou Close, Bournemouth

A drug dealer who failed to take heed of "warning shots across bow" over his criminal behaviour was jailed for eight years.

Ayahya Khan, 26 and of Anjou Close, Bournemouth, peddled cocaine and heroin on the streets of Bournemouth despite being on crown court bail for other matters.

The former London School of Economics students was deemed to have played a "significant role" in the drug operation.

Between October 2019 and July 2020, police found Khan had 460 grams of heroin and 70 grams of cocaine in his possession and at addresses where he was staying - drugs with a street value of around £53,000.

The defendant admitted seven counts of possessing a class A drug with intent to supply, as well as offences of doing an act tending to pervert the course of justice when he gave a false name to police in Bristol in January 2017 having been detained and possessing a mobile phone at HMP Winchester while remanded in custody.

Recorder Don Tait said Khan "made a concious decision, in my judgement, to become involved in this drug enterprise".

Steven Licorish​

Bournemouth Echo:

A man was put behind bars for up to 10 weeks after spitting at a Dorset Police officer who went on to test positive for Covid a few days later.

Steven Licorish's  actions were “considered and deliberate” in relation to the assault on PC Joe Terry in Bournemouth in January during lockdown, according to a judge.

Judge Jonathan Fuller QC told Licorish, 41 and of Bath Road, Bournemouth, that he could not suspend the prison sentence as this “would not mark the seriousness of the offence”.

Licorish previously pleaded guilty at Poole Magistrates’ Court on February 23 to charges of assault by beating of an emergency worker and being drunk and disorderly in a public place in Charminster Road, Bournemouth, on January 6.

He was fined £50 for the drunk and disorderly offence at the magistrates’ court on March 19.

PC Terry and a colleague attended Charminster Road shortly before 7.30am on January 6 to reports of an intoxicated male who was in the road and blocking traffic.

The court heard Licorish, who was homeless at the time, had been drinking all night and was “incapacitated”.

Once officers had identified the defendant, he was arrested in relation to separate matters, which have not been pursued.

Licorish started to make loud abusive and demeaning comments about himself and was repeatedly told to stop and calm down.

While officers were waiting for a police van to arrive, Licorish turned his head and spat at PC Terry, with the spittle landing on his stab vest.

Nathan Luke Bartlett​

Bournemouth Echo:

A man who stormed into a flat with a baseball bat and 'waved' an imitation firearm in front of the victim and a  taxi driver was jailed for 16 months.

Nathan Luke Bartlett was locked up after pursuing a man in Southbourne in the early hours with the air pistol.

Bartlett, 33 and of Manor Road, Hayling Island, was “waving” the air weapon around and left his victim in fear for his life during the incident in October last year.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard this was after the defendant had been aggressive when he entered his then girlfriend’s home armed with a baseball bat. He found the victim in the living room and after the man fled, he pursued him in his car.

The court was told the air pistol could not be fired due to a leak in the gas chamber.

Bartlett pleaded guilty to offences of having an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and possession of a baseball bat.

Judge Jonathan Fuller QC said the victim “was absolutely terrified and it has had a long lasting impact on him”.

Terry O’Shaughnassy 

Bournemouth Echo: Terry O’Shaughnassy, 33 and of Corbin Avenue, Ferndown

A man who made his partner feel “trapped”, "lost" and “completely isolated” due to his coercive and controlling behaviour was caged for two years and eight months.

Terry O’Shaughnassy assaulted his victim, forced her to lie to medical staff about her injuries, monitored her social media use and subjected her to vile verbal abuse.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard O’Shaughnassy would take the woman’s car so she could not go out from her home other than walking distance.

The 34-year-old, of Corbin Avenue, Ferndown, tormented the woman for months before she ended the relationship, at which point he tried “emotional blackmail” to get her back.

During the relationship he told her “you will obey me because you are my ****”.

Judge Robert Pawson said such actions were “misogynistic”.

The court on more than one occasion the victim required hospital treatment after she had been assaulted, but the defendant would not let her go alone and forced her to lie to staff about how she got the injuries.

O'Shaughnassy had accumulated fines and motoring offences when using the victim’s vehicle, which had left her facing court action and points on her licence. He also caused damage to the car.

Stephen Jones​

Bournemouth Echo: Stephen Jones, 49 and of Canford Avenue, Bournemouth

A man who sexually assaulted a paramedic and threatened to slit a supermarket worker’s throat was jailed for 14 months.

Stephen Jones, 49 and of Canford Avenue, Bournemouth, admitted charges of two public order offences, three thefts, common assault, sexual assault and criminal damage.

The court heard paramedics had given Jones a lift to his home address in September lasy year after he called 999 asking for an ambulance but it was discoered he did not need medical assistance.

In the ambulance Jones made sexual remarks, which included asking the female paramedic to perform a sex act on him.

Despite being told to stop, he continued and the paramedic, who was in the back of the ambulance with the defendant, went to put her head through the hatch to ask her colleague to park so Jones could be removed from the vehicle.

While she was doing this, Jones pushed himself against her from behind, touching her sexually.

On November 28, Jones, of Canford Avenue, Bournemouth, made a threat to slit the throat of a female member of staff at Tesco in Wallisdown Road.

Six days later the defendant damaged a window and was abusive to staff at Talbot Medical Centre.

On December 26 and 28 he stole from the Tesco store on three occasions, taking Fosters beer and sandwiches.

His final crime on New Year’s Eve, again at Tesco, saw him tell another female member of staff that he would “slice her face open”.

Parvez Latif​

Bournemouth Echo: Parvez Latif

A man who was banned from a street in Bournemouth following anti-social behaviour was jailed after he breached a restraining order.

Parvez Latif, 47 and of Ensbury Park Road, Bournemouth, was given a suspended sentence and issued a restraining order not to entery Columbia Road for a year at Poole Magistrates’ Court on March 23.

This was after he admitted charges of theft and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence. He also admitted an offence of being drunk and disorderly in a public place and failing to comply with a section 35 exclusion order.

The offences occurred between Februayr 23 and Ferbuary 28 and mainly occurred in the area of the Co-op store in Columbia Road. They related to reports of anti-social behaviour, including begging in the street, hassling people going into the store and making threats to a woman as well as stealing chocolate bars from the shop.

Following the imposition of the restraining order, officers were called at around 3.15pm on April 2 to reports of an intoxicated man causing a nuisance to members of the public in Columbia Road. Latif was located and arrested for breaching the restraining order.

He was subsequently charged and appeared at Poole Magistrates’ Court on April 3, where he put behind bars for eight weeks.

Darren Philip Brooks​

Bournemouth Echo: Darren Brooks, also known as Darren Ginbey

A violent robber who threatened victims with syringes and a screw driver was jailed for 10 years.

Darren Philip Brooks targeted three retailers in the space of seven days in the run up to Christmas last year.

The 51-year-old, who is also known as Darren Ginbey, used a Beryl bike as a mode of transport to assist his offending.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard that he robbed McColl's in Commercial Road on December 15, Smiggle in Old Christchurch Road on December 18 and Central Convenience Store in Westbourne on December 21.

Brooks was put behind bars for 10 years and made subject to a four-year extended licence period after a judge deemed him to be a “dangerous offender”.

This was after he pleaded guilty to three counts of robbery.

Judge Stephen Climie said, in his opinion, “serious psychological harm” had been caused to each of the victims.

He said the offending was aggravated by his previous convictions, him being on bail when he committed the robberies and the “significant degree of planning and, or, targetting”.

James Anthony Taylor​

Bournemouth Echo: James Anthony Taylor

A man who racially abused a taxi driver before threatening to stab police officers was jailed for two years and 10 months.

James Anthony Taylor, 36 and of Romsey Road, Winchester, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on April 7 after previously admitting affray, theft, causing racially or religiously aggravated fear or provocation of violence by words or writing and criminal damage.

At around 7.30pm on October 27, 2020, Dorset Police was called to a report of a taxi alarm activation at the junction of Pembroke Road and Alumhurst Road.

Officers attended and spoke to the taxi driver – a man aged in his 50s from Poole – who said that he had been assaulted by a customer he had picked up.

Taylor had grabbed the victim’s phone and shouted racially aggravated abuse at him, before making threats to assault him.

The journey ended at Pembroke Road where Taylor got out of the car and took the mobile phone with him.

The victim got out and asked for his phone back, but was told by Taylor to give him £40 in exchange, which he did. Taylor took the money and continued to walk away with the phone. The victim managed to take the phone from Taylor, but he never reclaimed the money. During the incident, Taylor pushed the victim causing him to fall to the floor.

Officers approached the address that Taylor entered shortly after the incident and attempted to detain him. The defendant stated that he was going to stab the officers and was holding a knife. Also, damage was caused to the property by Taylor.

Armed response officers attended the address and Taylor was arrested.

Taylor was also sentenced in relation to other incidents after admitting assault by beating, making off without making payment, breach of conditional discharge, failing to surrender, three counts of criminal damage and two counts of theft.

If you are interested in court and crime news, you might be interested in joining our dedicated Facebook group, which provides updates from across the county. To find out more, click here