POLICE are investigating an alleged assault and a number of reports of anti-social behaviour in the Littledown area.

Officers are looking into reports of an assault in the Chaseside area involving four boys, one of whom was reportedly in possession of a penknife, that occurred at around 4.15pm on Thursday April 29.

Enquiries into the incident are ongoing.

Police say extra patrols are being carried out in the area as a result.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said they are also liaising with BCP Council over a travellers group on the football pitches at Littledown.

They added: “Local officers have been carrying out regular patrols in the vicinity to provide a visible presence and reassurance to the local community. These patrols will continue, and the officers can be approached by members of the public with any concerns.

“We have been liaising with the local authority in relation to an unauthorised encampment in the area and we will be supporting them with any appropriate action required.

“We are committed to investigating any offences reported to Dorset Police and would urge anyone with information to please contact us online at www.dorset.police.uk, via email 101@dorset.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101. If a crime is in progress dial 999.”

BCP Council have said they are in the process of filing court orders against the travellers who are situated on the grass football pitches owned by BH Live.

A spokesperson from BCP Council said: “This encampment arrived at Littledown earlier in the week.

“Visits by both the police and BCP Council officers are all part of the standard practice of daily visits and monitoring.

“We can advise that we are seeking court directions orders.”

Residents said they have seen an increased police presence in the area following the alleged assault on Thursday night.

One resident on Cowell Drive said: “So yesterday morning, I noticed a police car pull up and kind of go into JP Morgan. There were no sirens, but the lights were going, and I thought ‘that was a bit strange’.

“Then yesterday evening, it must have been at around 5pm, there was a police car that just parked in the road here and must have sat there for about half an hour to 45 minutes and then drive off again.”