JUNIOR Stanislas was at the double as Cherries made it three Championship wins on the spin with a 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest.

The midfielder struck early in each half to ensure Jason Tindall’s side stayed a point behind Championship leaders Norwich, who had earlier won 3-2 at Stoke.

Stanislas’s double was his first brace for the Dorset club since October 2016.

Cherries made two changes from the side who fought back to claim a 4-2 victory over Reading at home on Saturday.

Chris Mepham came in to replace Diego Rico, who dropped to the bench, with Lloyd Kelly starting at left-back.

Adam Smith returned to start in place of Jack Stacey, who was ruled out through injury. Steve Cook made his 350th appearance for the club.

Forest named former Cherries star Harry Arter in their line-up – the Republic of Ireland midfielder having played 256 times in the Dorset club’s rise through the divisions before leaving earlier this season.

And it was Arter who tried to get his new team off to a flying start after just two minutes. Driving at the hosts’ back line, the midfielder blazed over the top from 25 yards out.

But it was Cherries who took the lead in sublime fashion just a minute later. A magical lofted pass from deep supplied by David Brooks picked out the run of Stanislas. He did the rest to touch home the opener and put Tindall’s men in command.

Forest then almost restored parity through another former Cherry in Lyle Taylor, with quarter of an hour gone.

Cyrus Christie found space on the right to deliver for the visiting frontman, who ghosted in behind Mepham but headed over the bar.

It was then the turn of Arnaut Danjuma to show his attacking intent for the hosts. A delightful turn away from his man allowed the Dutchman to burst into the box – he was denied by goalkeeper Brice Samba from an acute angle.

Forest were looking to create down the right flank with full-back Christie getting forward once again. His drilled effort was left alone by Sammy Ameobi but was comfortable for Asmir Begovic in the home goal.

Playmaker Brooks continued to torment the visitors as Cherries somehow failed to grab a second just before half-time.

The Wales international skipped away from Yuri Ribeiro before cutting back for Stanislas, whose blocked effort pinballed in the box before being hacked off the line by Scott McKenna.

Cherries continued to search for a second after the break – and they almost had it after two minutes of the restart.

After Jefferson Lerma pressed high up the pitch, the ball was gifted to Brooks to tee up Stanislas, who fired just wide.

But Stanislas was to get his second with 51 minutes on the clock.

After a powerful run from Solanke, Jack Colback was judged to have brought him down just inside the box, with referee Simon Hooper pointing to the spot. Up stepped Stanislas to convert the resulting spot-kick.

Forest then tried to respond through Ameobi. The winger picked his spot and smashed a fierce effort that was beaten away by Begovic. Ryan Yates then headed over from close range soon after.

The visitors continued to push with Ameobi meeting a flick-on at the back post and firing wide, before being judged offside.

Solanke then went down in the box again late on but this time referee Hooper was unmoved.

It was not to matter however - as Cherries saw out the contest to keep up their promotion push.

Cherries: Begovic; Smith, Mepham, Cook, Kelly; Lerma (Rico, 78), L Cook, Stanislas; Brooks (Gosling, 71), Solanke, Danjuma (Riquelme, 90).

Unused subs: Surridge, Ofoborh, Simpson, Billing, Anthony, Travers (g/k).

Booked: Gosling, L Cook.

Forest: Samba; Christie, Figueiredo, McKenna, Ribeiro; Ameobi, Yates, Colback, Arter (Guerrero, 76), Lolley (Knockaert, 61); Taylor.

Unused subs: Mbe Soh, Jenkinson, Cafu, Ioannou, Swan, Smith (g/k).

Booked: Arter.

Referee: Simon Hooper.