A MAN who stole a gold chain from a jewellers, took financial advantage of a family friend, snatched bicycles and was caught trying to rip lead from a museum roof told a judge: “I only want to do good in my life from this point onwards.”

Caleb Ollie Johnson was jailed for 24 months by Judge Brian Forster QC following a series of offences committed over a six-month period this year.

During a sentencing hearing at Bournemouth Crown Court, Johnson, of Bindon Close, Poole, addressed the judge via video link from custody.

The 21-year-old defendant admitted seven counts of theft, attempted theft and fraud by false representation.

READ MORE: Thief who tried to steal lead from Russell-Cotes Museum is jailed

Johnson gave a lengthy speech during the hearing, which included repeated apologies, an insistence that his offending was behind him and a plea for the judge to be lenient on him.

He said his crimes were due to the circumstances he found himself in and his mental state at the time.

“I only want to do good in my life from this point onwards,” said Johnson.

“I am sorry for what I have done and to who it affected.”

The first theft offence occurred on February 12, at HM Samuel in the Dolphin Centre, Poole.

Prosecuting David Jenkins said Johnson was trying on a 22 inch, nine carat gold necklace. As soon as it was round his neck he made a sudden getaway.

Four theft offences and one fraud by false representation offence occurred against the same victim, who was described as a “family friend” between April 13 and April 17.

This involved Johnson gaining access to the vulnerable victim’s bank accounts and transferring a total of £800 to his own account. He also phoned one of the banks and claimed to be the victim before hanging up the call.

Other offences involved the theft of a £2,000 electric pedal cycle from outside an address in Poole on the morning of June 16, and theft of bicycle in Ashley Road in Poole on July 11.

His final act of criminality took place in the early hours of August 13 at Bournemouth’s Russell-Cotes Art Gallery and Museum. Mr Jenkins told the court a keyholder for the museum was contacted by their alarm monitoring company after the security system had been set off.

“Police attended within 10 minutes,” said Mr Jenkins. “A large quantity of lead had been stripped off. The person on the roof was still present.”

In interview, Johnson told officers he had been on the roof but claimed another man was also there who committed the crime.

Judge Forster QC handed Johnson a string on consecutive prison sentences, which included the breach of a suspended sentence order. The judge said: “I have no doubt he [Johnson] does have considerable potential, which I hope can be realised in the future.”

In a statement after the hearing, DC Christian Bryant, of Dorset Police’s Priority Crime Team, said: “Caleb Johnson was responsible for committing a series of offences over a six-month period. I hope the sentence handed out by the court will send out a strong message that we will investigate these crimes and do all we can to bring offenders to justice.”