A POWER cut enabled police to discover cannabis plants at a house in Poole.

An investigation is currently ongoing after cannabis plants were found in Arne Avenue.

A neighbour said the illegal drugs were found when their electricity went out and Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) electricians had to visit the house with the plants to check it was safe.

When electricians went in, the neighbour said they found the plants growing in four rooms.

Police were called about the situation on Wednesday afternoon and an investigation is under way.

The neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, added: “SSEN came out because we had no power, I think they said it ‘over-watted’.

“They tried to go to one of the properties in the road. A light went off but nobody answered the door.

“A few hours later they came back with the landlord and the residents had double-bolted the door.

“They got in and four rooms inside were growing plants. There were five-foot high plants and they had all the ventilation.”

Witnesses reported seeing police cars and officers in forensic suits in Arne Avenue throughout Wednesday night and into Thursday morning.

The smell of cannabis was very strong in the road and officers could be seen carrying evidence bags out of the address.

A Dorset Police spokesperson said: “Dorset Police received a report at 4.06pm on Wednesday that a quantity of suspected cannabis plants had been found at an address in Arne Avenue in Poole. Initial enquiries were carried out and the scene was secured overnight.

"Officers are continuing to carry out enquiries at the scene today and the plants are being seized. An investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made at this stage.”

Another Arne Avenue resident said: “SSEN tried to get into the house because there was a power cut. Police got into the house in the evening, there was probably about six police officers.

"I don’t know if the cannabis farm drained the electrics, you can really smell it now.”

An SSEN spokesperson said: “Engineers safely restored power on Arne Avenue after its network infrastructure had been interfered with, and subsequently damaged.”