A MAN stabbed to death in Bournemouth town centre has been named locally as Kai Joshua Archer.

Mr Archer, 20, died in hospital shortly after being stabbed in the chest in St Swithun's Road on Saturday night.

Flowers have been placed at the scene of the tragedy bearing the message: "Kai Joshua Archer. This is too soon and unfair.

"My heart goes out to your family, I will always remember you."

Bournemouth Echo:

A GoFundMe page has been set up in a bid to raise money for his funeral.

A message on the fundraising website says: "In the late evening of Saturday November 16, my cousin's life was taken away from him. His life was taken away from him in minutes, he wasn’t able to say goodbye to the ones he loved or even hear their voices before he passed away.

"Kai was 20 years old. The world was his oyster. He had just got a flat, just starting working and he was trying to rebuild his life. He may have not always been the ‘best’ but who is?

"He tried his hardest to leave aspects of his life behind and he was a good soul, he would never have intentionally hurt a fly let alone a human."

The message said Mr Archer's family is "in absolute pieces" and added: "His family have been through tragedy after tragedy, the world has been cruel to them. Kai hadn’t even made it to 21, he had his whole life ahead of him and it breaks my heart to know that his life was snatched away from him in minutes.

"It has left all of his family both shocked and devastated. No mother should have to identify their child’s body and no family should have to bury a child."

"I’ve set up this page to raise money for Kai's funeral costs, I would also like to start raising awareness of knife crime and the heartbreak that it leaves behind.

"Please donate what you can to help my family give Kai the funeral that he deserves. Kai deserved the world and I don’t want his funeral, the day that we get to celebrate his life, to be any less than that."

Bournemouth Echo:

On Monday morning the community expressed their sadness about the incident.

Resident Linda Kalham said: "It's so dreadful. So sad for the parents. It's such a sad world at the moment."

Meanwhile a passerby near the scene of where a police cordon had been in place on Sunday said he was "horrified to hear about it."

Police were called to St Swithun's Road at 10.10pm on Saturday.

Mr Archer was taken to hospital by ambulance but died soon afterwards.

A forensics tent was placed outside Bournemouth Pizza Co and detailed inquiries were carried out in the area.

Several roads were cordoned off as part of the investigation, as was a house nearby at the junction of Knyveton Road and Annerley Road.

The coroner has been informed and an inquest will be held at a date to be fixed.

Witnesses are urged to contact Dorset Police on 101, quoting incident number 16:433, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

An 18-year-old Bournemouth man was arrested on suspicion of murder. Police confirmed on Monday evening that detectives have obtained an extension of 36 hours for his arrest and he remains in police custody helping officers with their enquiries.

In addition, a 17-year-old Bournemouth boy was arrested by police on suspicion of affray on Monday. He is currently assisting officers with their enquiries.