A MOTHER whose son invented a business in order to buy cyanide online and use the substance to take his own life has called on the government to introduce stricter internet controls.

Kristiyan Danailov, who was just 21, invented a fake trading name and emailed a company in Essex to send him the lethal substance in the post.

According to his mother Elana Danailova, all her son had to do was tick a box on a website to confirm he was a legitimate trader in order for the poison to be dispatched.

It arrived through his door a few days later.

Mr Danailov, who had recently been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, was found dead in the bedroom of his family home in Saffron Way, Bournemouth on July 28 last year.

A tub containing an unusual, crystal-like substance was found by a paramedic next to his body, with one of its ingredients listed as 'cyanide'.

Mrs Danailova, a 48-year-old nurse, and husband Petar, 52, a carpenter, are demanding more restrictions on the internet brought in to prevent it from happening again.

She said: "It was too easy for him to buy something so dangerous online.

"All he had to do was tick a box to say he was a trader and the cyanide was posted to him.

"The government needs to introduce more restrictions and stronger checks.

"Children are on their computers for so many hours each day and anyone could do the same as my son.

"We can't bring him back but maybe we can prevent more deaths in the future.

"I think any parent would agree with me that more needs to be done.

"Losing a child is the worst pain imaginable but in his memory we want to start a campaign to stop it happening again."

At Mr Danailov's inquest, Richard Middleton, the assistant coroner for Dorset, expressed concerns about how easily it had been for him to buy the poison.

He said: "What concerns the family, and in turn concerns me, is the apparent ease with which he placed his delivery.

"The circumstances which exist at this moment in time will create the risk of other deaths."

Mr Middleton has since written to DEFRA, the Health and Safety Executive and the Chemical Businesses Association to ask for a formal response to his concerns.

All three parties are required to provide answers to him by November 20 but it is not clear if any have.

The Danailovs moved from their native Bulgaria to the UK in 2012.

Mr Danailov bought the cyanide from a Romford-based company on July 23 2018.

The company's website carries the warning: "Ingestion will cause death – only sold to customers with a trading history."

Warnings as to the toxicity of the substance are also featured on the packaging itself.

After Mr Danailov's was found dead police and a specialist response team from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service were called to oversee the removal of his body due to the risk of contamination.

Despite the efforts of coroner's officers to find a safe location for the post mortem to take place, the examination was not carried out as cyanide releases a dangerous gas - hydrogen cyanide - when mixed with fluids.

However, pathologists were able to provide a cause of death as 'consistent with cyanide poisoning'.

Cyanide is not illegal to buy in the UK but people must hold a Home Office licence and an associated photographic identity document to obtain it.

A spokesperson for the Chemical Business Association said: "We are a trade body, not an enforcement agency.

"We do not believe the company which sold the cyanide is a member of our association. It is not our place to comment on a non-member."

DEFRA and the Health and Safety Executive have been approached for comment but have yet to respond.

  • The Samaritans can be contacted 24/7 on any phone by calling 116 123.