A MAN who died in hospital hours after being restrained by police had been in a state of excited delirium, an inquest has heard.

Douglas Oak, aged 35, had been spotted by a number of people wandering and running around the streets of Branksome Park, Poole, on the night of April 11, 2017, Bournemouth Coroners Court was told today.

He jumped onto a police car and after officers restrained him, Mr Oak, from Poole, suffered a cardiac arrest.

Police carried out CPR on him until paramedics arrived and took over.

He died the following day in Poole Hospital.

A post mortem examination revealed he died of the combined effects of acute and chronic cocaine intoxication, excitement, exertion, restraint and hypothermia with terminal bronchial pneumonia.

His parents, Christine and John Oak, who both attended the opening day of the five-week jury inquest, say they are desperate for answers.

Christine Oak told the hearing: "He was a deeply loved son. This world is far worse off without him, he was truly one of a kind."

Dorset Coroner Rachael Griffin, who is presiding over the inquest, told the jury: "Police identified that Doug could be suffering from a condition known as Acute Behavioural Disturbance (ABH), also known as excited delirium.

“You will hear about this condition during the course of the evidence.”

Ms Griffin said the inquest would examine the roles Dorset Police, South Western Ambulance Service and Poole Hospital played in the death.

She also said the inquest would look at the systems and training in place surrounding ABH within the police and ambulance services, both at the time of Mr Oak's death and now.

His parents were on holiday abroad when they received a call from a neighbour saying their son was in the street with no shoes on.

According to the neighbour, he appeared to be in an agitated state and was purporting that someone wanted to harm him.

Mrs Oak said they got the first flight back to the UK, but by the time they arrived at Poole Hospital, around 2am on April 12, their son was unresponsive in intensive care.

Soon afterwards his life support machines were turned off.

Born in Boscombe, Mr Oak was the youngest of two brothers.

He studied operations management at Nottingham Trent University, but during his third year became ill and required one of his kidney’s being surgically removed, his mum told the hearing.

He also needed reconstructive surgery on his knee following a football injury.

Mrs Oak said: “Despite these challenges and after taking a year out for treatment, he passed his exams with flying colours and was awarded a first class degree.

"We were so proud of him."

He went onto obtain a masters degree in construction project management, before working for software design companies, his father’s civil engineering company and his own company.

The inquest continues.