A GREENHOUSE was destroyed by a fire in Ferndown this morning.

The blaze, thought to have been caused by a candle left in the structure overnight to 'take the chill off', began at around 8am and was extinguished by fire crews from Redhill Park and Ferndown using one hose reel jet.

The fire, at the rear of a property in Monsal Avenue, also damaged a fence panel.

Watch Manager Smith of Redhill Park station would like to remind the public to use appropriate heat-proof holders when using candles, and to keep the naked flame well clear of any combustible material.