Dorset Fire and Rescue tackled a large barn fire in Swanage last night.

Residents were warned to keep their windows and doors closed until the fire had been extinguished.

There was asbestos involved but this was described as 'low hazard'.

Police officers were also on the scene and were asking members of the public to stay away while fire crews dealt with the fire.

A spokesman from Dorset Fire and Rescue said they were called to the incident at 5.11pm.

The fire was in a Dutch barn containing 200 tonnes of hay and straw, as well as various items of farm machinery and a horse box.

Last night the spokesperson said: "On arrival the barn was well alight. We mobilised two pumps and requested one from Wareham. A water carrier is also on its way. We can report that asbestos minor (low hazard) is involved."

Purbeck Police reported that no nearby properties were at risk from the fire.

'Stn Manager Swanage' from Dorset Fire and Rescue tweeted on Tuesday night: "Due to barn fire at Benlease Way can all residents in the area keep windows and doors closed until further notice. #swanage #dorset #fire."

Crews remained in attendance overnight protecting surrounding properties to prevent fire spread.