DORSET duo Lee Thompson (Dudsbury) and Michael Watson (Wessex Golf Centre) both shot the lowest round in the history of Dudsbury – but their spectacular nine-under-par 62s will not go into the record books.

Their second round exploits were the highlights in another successful West Region PGA Dudsbury Masters, jointly sponsored by the host club and Ringwood Brewery.

However, due to torrential rain, the lift-and-place rule was enforced so no new mark could be established, meaning the official record of 64 – set in 2000 by Sion Bebb – still stands.

Despite their efforts, neither player tasted victory. Pre-tourament favourite Thompson, who won the title two years ago, made too many mistakes in a first round 74 and had to be content with a share of fourth.

Watson, however, who opened with a level-par 71, led in the clubhouse for two hours on nine-under 133.

But Newquay’s Chris Gill later matched this score before winning a play-off to take home the trophy and the £1,825 first prize.

Watson, whose prize was £1,420, has been in brilliant form and recently won at Cotswold Edge and Moor Hall on successive days.

He eventually paid the penalty for a wayward tee shot on the first play-off hole, the par-five 10th. He blocked himself out, had to lay up and made five, while Gill calmly two-putted from 30-feet for the winning birdie.

Thompson made eagles at the 10th and 17th and five birdies, while Watson carded five birdies on the way out and four coming home in their sparkling rounds.

Former PGA Cup captain Jon Bevan, now attached to Sherborne, took third with a birdie three at the last where home player Mark Wiggett missed a short putt to slip back to fourth alongside Thompson, Barry Austin (Downes Crediton, 64), Stuart Little (Minchinhampton, 66), Bebb (Morlais Castle, 66) and Kevin Harper (East Devon, 69).

Dudsbury Masters leading final scores – 133 Chris Gill (Newquay) 68 65, Michael Watson (Wessex Golf Centre) 71 62, (Gill won at first extra hole), 134 Jon Bevan (Sherborne) 66 68, 136 Lee Thompson (Dudsbury) 74 62, Barry Austin (Downes Crediton) 72 64, Stuart Little (Minchinhampton New) 70 66, Sion Bebb (Morlais Castle) 70 66, Mark Wiggett (Dudsbury) 68 68, Kevin Harper (East Devon) 67 69, 137 Paul Hendriksen (Ivybridge) 69 68, Lydia Hall (Hensol Golf Academy) 69 68, Toby Hunt (St Mellons) 68 69, 138 Richard O'Hanlon (St Kew) 69 69, Ashley Mansell (Clevedon) 65 73, 139 Giuseppe Licata (Chipping Sodbury) 72 67, Dan Carter (Upavon) 71 68, Martin Stimson (Ashburnham) 70 69, Mark Searle (High Post) 69 70, Paul Jones (Ashley Wood) 69 70, Scott Drummond (Plymouth) 67 72, Max Billingsley (St Kew) 67 72, Adam Frayne (Yelverton) 66 73.

Gill made it a double having won the pro-am on the eve of the main event with a local team of Neil Woolfrey, Wayne Chant and Martin Cocks, who shot 123.

Matt Dearden (Vale Resort), who won the individual with 65 on a rainy day, was runner-up with Pat Michael, Martin Campbell and Andy Horn.

They were seven shots behind in second followed on 131 by Richard O'Hanlon (St Kew) assisted by Danny Ross, Pete Randall and Barclay Hoare.