BOSS Brendon King believes Hamworthy United have given themselves a “massive platform” to achieve a club-high finish in Sydenhams Wessex Premier.

King, who is in his first full season at the County Ground, saw Hammers climb into third place thanks to a 3-1 win over Bashley last night.

A double from Darren Watts and a finely-taken effort from Dan Cann helped them come from behind to chalk up an eighth league victory in 11 games.

And although most of their rivals have games in hand, Hammers are still on course to eclipse their highest finishing position – sixth in 2005-06.

King, appointed in November 2016, spent two-and-a-half years in the hot-seat at Weymouth in the Southern Premier League and also assisted Simon Browne at Wimborne.

Asked whether he had designs on again managing at a higher level, King said: “I haven’t really thought about that. I am just enjoying my time here.

“We have brought in a lot of new players from last season and, when I was offered the job, I said I would see what I could do and take it from there. Things are going well at the moment.

“It is a really good club with some really good people involved and I want to do the best I can for them.

“On the playing side, we have given ourselves a massive platform to finish as high as this club ever has and I want to be part of that.

“They are doing things right off the pitch as well and have ambitious plans. We are just trying to do our bit on the pitch.”

Jamie Elkins and Jamie Beasley were thwarted by top-drawer saves from Bashley goalkeeper Mike Edgar before Harrison White’s deflected shot gave the New Foresters the lead after 29 minutes.

However, Watts restored parity with a sublime 25-yarder in the 37th minute before Bash were reduced to 10 men following an off-the-ball incident.

Sam Jackson reacted angrily and kicked out at Nathan Walker after the Hammers skipper had needlessly clattered him – after the half-time whistle had sounded.

Jackson received a straight red card for his petulance, while referee Kwame Hinson opted to show Walker a yellow card as the defender was being helped off the pitch by backroom staff.

With Walker having made a full recovery, Hammers capitalised and effectively put the game to bed by scoring twice within 60 seconds early in the second half.

Cann finished with aplomb having been picked out by Elkins’s pinpoint pass before Watts latched on to a Beasley cross to emphatically beat Edgar from around 12 yards.

King added: “I was happy with three points and thought we controlled the majority of the game.

“The only real disappointment was that we didn’t go on to score six or seven goals. We missed some good chances.

“We scored a couple of good goals in the second half but took our foot off the gas and have to be more ruthless.”

Hammers: Knights, S Clarke (Zanin, 68), C Clarke, Hodge, N Walker, B Walker, Filkins, Buckler (Nicholson, 75), Watts, Cann (Smith, 65), Beasley. Unused sub: Randall.

Bash: Edgar, McGrath, Aimson, Ross (Rolls, 82), Thompson, Morris, Jackson, White (Henry, 85), Jack, Whiteley (Owen, 60), Munday. Unused sub: Coombes (g/k).