FIVE-STAR Swanage Town & Herston showed their clinical edge as they surged to a 5-2 victory at Sturminster Newton United.

Cameron Beard opened the scoring from the penalty spot for Swans before Jamie Danoris levelled the game up for the hosts.

Tim Brown’s men then took the lead again through Aaron Atkinson’s effort before a flurry of strikes put the game beyond doubt before half-time.

Beard added his second before Graeme Rose scored with a header.

A long-range effort from Dave Best also found the net, meaning Swanage went in at the break with a commanding 5-1 lead.

Stur hit the woodwork and kept searching for a way back into the contest.

Danoris netted his second just before the hour mark but it was not enough as Swans ran out comfortable winners.

Victory meant Swanage have won eight of their opening 10 league fixtures. They are currently seventh with games in hand on every side above them.

Merley Cobham Sports moved up to second after a 2-1 victory over struggling Wareham Rangers in bizarre fashion at Purbeck Sports Centre.

Cobham made the breakthrough against the run of play with a slick move and finish from Matt Groves.

Rangers then responded after the interval through Aaron Merredew’s header before the hosts were temporarily reduced to 10 men.

Wareham had their keeper sin-binned for dissent by the match official under the rules being trialled in the league this season.

And Cobham took advantage when a scuffed effort from Asa Phillips beat stand-in keeper Rich Parsons to decide the game.

Blandford United suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to Gillingham Town despite taking an early lead.

Paul Ford stabbed the ball home early on from a corner after the Gills failed to clear their lines

But the Royals were powerless to stop a determined Gillingham fightback.

Will Pike lofted the ball into the net to make it 1-1 midway through the first half and Buddy O’Shea capped off a neat move to send the visitors into the lead.

Gillingham’s Harry Smith rounded off the scoring in the second half after he was teed up by Elliot Bevis.

Parley Sports made light work of bottom side Sherborne Town reserves by hitting them for six at Raleigh Grove.

Mathew Newbery and Jack Voisey both netted twice in a 6-2 success for Sports, who also found the net through Billy Wheatley and Alastair Williams.

A Nicholas Patrick hat-trick along with Joshua Rose’s double helped Hamworthy United reserves record a resounding 6-0 triumph over Shaftesbury reserves.

Sam Carter was the other goalscorer for Hammers.

Holt United moved up to third with a 3-1 victory over Bridport reserves, with both sides being reduced to 10 men.

Nathan Saxby struck a second-half double and Mike Haskell made the game safe with the third for the Bulls. Holt’s Charlie Gajic and Bridport's Nick Paul were both sent off in the latter stages for violent conduct, in an off the ball incident.