LUKE Homer plundered a hat-trick as Holt United eased into the second round of the Dorset Premier League Cup thanks to an emphatic 6-1 win at Blandford United.

Homer paved the way for victory by netting twice in the first half with Nathan Saxby also on target for the Bulls, while Paul Ford replied for the Royals.

Sam Pearce’s wind-assisted effort and a Mike Haskell penalty were added to by Homer’s third with the only blemish for Holt being a straight red card for Shane Jackson.

Aaron Drayton’s heroics for Merley Cobham Sports failed to save them from suffering a 2-1 defeat at the hands of high-fliers Balti Sports at Merley Park.

Goalkeeper Drayton kept out Ricki Lane’s second-half penalty with the score at 0-0, only for Ryan Dovell to put the visitors ahead from a free-kick just minutes later.

Although Ellis George levelled for the hosts on 62 minutes, Lane atoned for his earlier miss from the spot by bagging the winner five minutes from time.

Sam Carter’s double proved in vain for Hamworthy United reserves as they exited following a 3-2 defeat by Mere Town at the County Ground.

Carter cancelled out Joe Patterson’s opener before striking again to fire the Hammers in front with 20 minutes remaining.

Patterson made it 2-2 from the penalty spot before Scott Martin popped up to settle the tie in favour of the visitors seven minutes from time.

Parley Sports crashed out at the first hurdle after going down 3-2 against Sherborne Town reserves – the Zebras claiming their first win of the season.

Ali Williams’s header had the visitors ahead at half-time at Raleigh Grove before Dan Newens restored parity in the 65th minute.

Craig Royle edged the hosts in front with 15 minutes remaining before Jake Hobbs’s own goal again drew the teams level.

Royle’s 25-yarder booked Sherborne a place in the draw for the second round.

In the league, Buddy O’Shea’s double condemned Wareham Rangers to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Gillingham Town with William Bartley netting Rangers’ consolation.