CHERRIES youngster Jake Cope netted a late winner to send Poole Town through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The teenager, on loan from Vitality Stadium, struck four minutes from time to earn Tom Killick’s side a 2-1 victory over Hungerford, as Dolphins made it one step closer to the first round proper.

Southern League South high-fliers Poole banked £6,750 for the victory and put themselves in the hat for tomorrow’s draw.

Killick told the Daily Echo: “I always feel you have your strongest chance of progression at home.

“Approaching the final few minutes I thought maybe we had lost that chance but I was delighted when young Jake stepped up and made sure the performance got us a result we deserved.

“Even when our performances haven’t been 100 per cent, we’ve still managed to find a win so far this season.

“Against Hungerford the performance was decent but we still had to dig deep to produce the win.”

Despite an outstanding win-rate during his tenure, the first round of the FA Cup has eluded Killick and his charges.

But on Saturday’s showing, it seems it finally could be the year Poole go all the way to the main draw.

Harry Baker continued his fine start to life at the Black Gold Stadium with a coolly slotted finish midway through the first half, during which Dolphins should have made their dominance count on the scoreline.

Their slender lead was eventually cancelled out when Liam Ferdinand popped up for Hungerford with around 20 minutes to go but Poole rallied again to ensure their efforts were not in vain.

Making only his second start of the campaign, Cope curled a shot from outside the area and past keeper Adam Siviter.

The loanee’s strike was enough to push Dolphins over the line and ensure they did not have to face a midweek replay.

“It was a very strong and pleasing performance against a side from the league above,” said Killick.

“Hungerford are a young and dynamic team that caused us problems but I thought we were resolute at the back and deserved our win.

“I thought Jamie Whisken and Will Spetch were resolute. We had to weather a storm in the second half after a controlling first period, so to remain in the game during that spell was key.”

Dolphins: Cairney, Dickson (Bedford, 69), Leslie-Smith, Spetch, Whisken, Holmes, Carmichael, Moore, Baker (Dennett, 77), Brooks (Smeeton, 67), Cope. Unused subs: Tavares, Grange, Phillips (g/k).