THERE is no doubt the debate over VAR will rumble on for days after this one.

But it should not gloss over the fact Cherries were let down by their performance, as Jamie Vardy’s brace sunk them in the 3-1 defeat.

Granted, the visitors could find themselves aggrieved by a couple of controversial refereeing decisions at King Power Stadium – the main one being Youri Tielemans’s crunching challenge on Callum Wilson which went unpunished.

It did not help matters even more when the Belgian international swaggered out of his home ground with the man-of-the-match champagne – he might not have even been on the pitch had the VAR referral not gone his way.

But let’s not get away from the fact Eddie Howe’s side still conceded three poor goals against a team unbeaten in their opening four top-flight games.

Foxes talismanic frontman Vardy netted either side of the interval – as well as setting up a first-half goal for Tielemans.

Wilson’s first goal of the campaign proved consolation for Howe’s side, who were left to ponder back-to-back league losses heading into the international break.

Cherries made just one alteration from the team which was beaten 3-1 at home against Manchester City last time out in the top flight.

Harry Wilson came in for the injured Charlie Daniels. Nathan Ake switched to left-back for the visitors.

Hosts Leicester made four changes, with £30million man Ayoze Perez dropping to the bench in place of Marc Albrighton.

Despite both sides trading blows in the opening exchanges, it was Leicester who opened the scoring after just 12 minutes.

A searching long ball from Ben Chilwell found Vardy, who raced in behind Chris Mepham and Steve Cook.

The Foxes frontman precisely chipped the ball over Aaron Ramsdale in the visiting goal first time from 25-yards out to find the corner.

But Cherries responded just three minutes later through England international Wilson.

He raced on to a perfectly-weighted through ball from Ryan Fraser and coolly side-footed into the far corner past Kasper Schmeichel – netting his first strike in seven games for club and country.

Cherries midfielder Philip Billing went into the referee’s book for a robust challenge on Albrighton, before the Foxes almost regained the advantage.

After Tielemans linked up with Albrighton, the latter’s delivery was glanced just wide by James Maddison.

The tenacious Vardy then almost capitalised again after Cook played the ball back to Cherries goalkeeper Ramsdale, whose clearance was charged down by the pacey frontman.

Thankfully for the young stopper, he managed to pounce on the ricochet.

But it was Vardy who once again proved to be a pain for Cherries as Leicester regained the lead on 41 minutes.

After gathering a deflection having looked to take on Cook, the forward burst into the box to tee up Tielemens. The Belgian international simply could not miss from close range.

It was then Tielemans who was involved in the first big talking point of the second half.

His lunging challenge on Wilson caught the ankle of the Cherries goalscorer with his studs – leaving the forward left needing treatment.

After a consultation with VAR Martin Atkinson to check the red card, referee Peter Bankes, officiating for the first time in the Premier League, waved play on.

Things then got worse for Cherries four minutes past the hour mark.

Having sprinted back to cover against Leicester’s Harvey Barnes, Adam Smith was forced off with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

He was replaced by Jordon Ibe as Cherries switched to a back three and used Ibe and Fraser as wing-backs.

Wilson’s frustrations then continued as he went to ground under the challenge of defender Caglar Soyuncu.

But referee Bankes judged the England star to have dived and booked him for simulation. Wilson sarcastically applauded the official.

And with 17 minutes remaining, Vardy wrapped up the contest.

After Mepham was dispossessed in the box by Maddison, Tielemans picked out the former Fleetwood ace to bag his second of the afternoon.

Dominic Solanke worked Schmeichel in the latter stages after gathering Fraser’s centre but Howe’s men were left to travel home empty-handed.

Leicester: Schmeichel; Pereira, Soyuncu, Evans, Chilwell; Ndidi; Albrighton (Gray, 64), Tielemans, Maddison (Fuchs, 86), Barnes (Choudhury, 72), Vardy.

Unused subs: Justin, Perez, Praet, Ward (g/k)

Booked: Albrighton

Cherries: Ramsdale; Smith (Ibe, 64), Cook, Mepham, Ake; H Wilson (Solanke, 64), Billing, Lerma, Fraser; King (Surman, 78), C Wilson.

Unused subs: Stacey, Rico, Simpson, Boruc (g/k).

Booked: Billing, Lerma, C Wilson

Referee: Peter Bankes

VAR: Martin Atkinson

Attendance: 31,613