WES Thomas broke his Seward Stadium goal duck as Cherries finally put an end to their miserable run of home league results.

Thomas grabbed his seventh goal of the season – and his first in front of the home supporters – as Lee Bradbury’s men saw off sorry Scunthorpe.

The striker, on loan from Crawley, profited following a defensive mix up to double Cherries’ lead in the 73rd minute.

His goal added to Scott Malone’s 20th-minute opener, the Wolves loan man scoring with a clinical low drive to register his second goal in as many games.

Victory earned Cherries their second home win of the season and ended a six-match winless league run at the Seward Stadium.

Thomas almost scored inside the first minute when his glancing header drifted wide following a Marc Pugh cross.

Cherries goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan saved from Bobby Grant after the Scunny striker’s shot had taken a deflection off Adam Barrett.

Barrett’s clearing header denied Chris Dagnall a scent of goal before the frontman poked wide following a cross from Grant.

Paul Reid’s timely tackle stopped Thomas in his tracks as the striker looked to go clear before Flahavan gathered a low drive from Grant.

Cherries took the lead in the 20th minute when Malone despatched a left-foot drive into the bottom corner following a surging run from the halfway line.

The Wolves loan star, who netted his first goal for the club in the 3-1 win at Preston, gave Iron goalkeeper Sam Slocombe no chance, doubling his tally with a fine strike.

Dagnall went close to firing the Iron back on level terms when his angled drive crept past the upright before a first half of few chances drew to a close.

Wayward shots from Garry Thompson and Oli Norwood both found the King’s Park lorry park before an unmarked Mark Duffy failed to make good contact with a cross at the far post.

As the visitors went in search of an equaliser, a swift counter-attack ended with Michael O’Connor finding the side netting.

Cherries doubled their lead when Thomas seized on a defensive mix up and fired an unstoppable left-foot shot into the roof of the net after 73 minutes.

Cherries: Flahavan, Peters, Cook, Barrett, Cummings, Pugh, Arter, Purches (Molesley, 90), Malone, Fogden (Sheringham, 86), Thomas (Symes, 86).

Unused subs: Zubar, Jalal (g/k).

Iron: Slocombe, Togwell, Reid (Nelson, 58), S Duffy, Nolan, Thompson (Ajose, 58), O’Connor, Norwood, M Duffy, Grant, Dagnall. Unused subs: Wright, Byrne, Canavan.

Booked: O’Connor.

Referee: Graham Scott (Bedfordshire).

Attendance: 5,478 (including 227 away supporters).