STURMINSTER Marshall boss Matt Morris has slammed “disrespectful” rivals Westland Sports following their 3-2 triumph over the Yeovil side at Churchill Close on Saturday.

The hosts claimed the three points thanks to a Sam Goodwin brace and a winner from top scorer Dan Manuel.

But the Marshall manager was seething before kick-off after alleging Westland boss Kevin Leigh was overheard suggesting the visitors would cruise to victory.

Morris’s men, who play their home games on the village green, have grown increasingly angry at some of their bigger rivals refusing to take them seriously.

But with the club now seventh in the table, former Poole Borough man Morris says the DPL’s finest are starting to take notice of them.

He said: “They were quite disrespectful to us and about us. My assistant walked past the changing rooms just before the game started and says he heard their manager saying ‘come on lads, it’s an easy three points today’.

“As soon as our assistant came in and said that to me, I told the lads in the changing room and it really spurred them on.

“They were ready to prove to anyone that they’re not a walkover and I think it helped our performance. You shouldn’t say that in football. We’re all in the same league and they should respect us wherever we are in the league – top or bottom.

“The lads all think they’re a top five side or above possibly. There are only 16 points between seventh and first place.

“It was a little bit disrespectful to the club, but we’re not punching above our weight – far from it.”

Elsewhere, Hamworthy Recreation remain top of the standings after destroying Poole Borough 7-1 at Magna Road.

Tom Vavrecka gave the visitors an advantage after seven minutes, but four goals from Mark Dykes, plus efforts from Mike Notley, Jamie Moores and Dan Blackburn turned the match on its head.

Rec are two points clear of second-placed Weymouth, who won 3-0 at Merley Cobham Sports. But the Terras have a game in hand in the race for the championship.

Blandford United bounced back from behind to win 3-2 against Parley Sports at Park Road.

Justin Hall put the Royals ahead after five minutes, but Matt Newbery squared matters for Parley on 37 and Adam Jones gave them the lead five minutes after half time.

John Elliott drew Blandford level on 70 and Hall struck his second four minutes from time to send the Royals up to ninth in the table.

A second-half goal from Tony Parrott was not enough to save Swanage Town and Herston from a 3-1 loss at Chickerell United.

Ashley Hancock struck two minutes from the whistle to earn Hamworthy United a 1-0 win at Sturminster Newton.

In the day’s other league game, Cranborne went down 2-1 at Sherborne Town, despite a consolation effort from Oliver Hand.

And in the DPL Cup, Portland United reached the quarter finals after picking up a 3-1 win at Bridport.