LUCKLESS Cherries were denied a deserved first win of the season as bumbling referee Jarnail Singh missed two stonewall penalties at Huish Park.

Sean O'Driscoll's rampant side had turned on the style in cider country as the Yeovil goal led a charmed life in an opening period dominated by Cherries.

But the drama really unfolded after the break as Middlesex-based official Singh waved away two cast-iron spot-kick claims inside eight second-half minutes.

Firstly, he failed to spot Yeovil defender Andy Lindegaard handle as he tried to clear the ball after Danny Hollands had hit the woodwork in the 65th minute.

And Singh also turned down Cherries' appeals when the same player repeated the misdemeanour, nudging the ball out for a corner with his hand.

It was rough justice on Cherries who responded in stunning fashion by turning in an excellent display on the back of their Chesterfield horror show.

New signing Hollands was handed his Cherries debut as boss O'Driscoll made three changes to his starting line-up.

The ex-Chelsea youngster was drafted in to midfield as O'Driscoll went for a similar formation to the one adopted by the Glovers. Midfielder Stephen Cooke stepped up to replace the injured Marcus Browning, while Steve Fletcher was also promoted from the bench.

Lionel Ainsworth was named among the Cherries substitutes, along with Shaun Maher and James Coutts, who both returned after shaking off minor knocks.

But there was no place in the 16-man squad for Callum Hart, who had started against Chesterfield, or Conal Platt, who was on the bench on Saturday.

James Hayter spurned a glorious chance to give Cherries the lead when he fired wide from close range with the match just 54 seconds old after Fletcher had flicked Shaun Cooper's free kick to Leon Best who, in turn, fed Hayter on the near post.

Fletcher's aerial presence teed up Steven Foley, but the midfielder dragged his effort wide.

Best also wasted a clear opportunity when he shot wide after being picked out by Hollands's excellent pass.

Cherries maintained their high-tempo start and continued to pressurise the hosts, with Hayter's 11th-minute snapshot flashing past the post.

The lively Best then met Cooke's teasing cross with a glancing header, only to find the safe hands of Yeovil goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall.

Yeovil's first chance arrived midway through the first half, although Wayne Gray's hopeful volley failed to trouble Gareth Stewart as it sailed over the bar.

Eddie Howe's bullet header from Cooke's 36th-minute corner was blocked by Terry Skiverton before Best nodded another Cooke centre narrowly wide.

Fletcher, who gave the Glovers defence a torrid time during the opening period, then tried his luck with an ambitious 25-yard drive that flew over the top.

Another slick break, with Foley the architect, ended with the omnipresent Cooke's driven cross being turned behind for a corner by Terrell Forbes.

The Glovers made a double substitution at the break with David Poole and Kevin James replacing the ineffective Anthony Barry and Matt Harrold.

And striker James went close with his first touch when his instinctive prod at the far post from Lindegaard's hanging cross fizzed past the upright.

Cherries carved out another gilt-edged chance, with Hollands lifting the ball over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

A Hayter piledriver was deflected for a corner before Cherries had a cast-iron penalty claim waved away by referee Singh in the 65th minute.

The incident came about after the impressive Hollands had rattled the woodwork with a thumping drive from just outside the 18-yard box. And in an attempt to clear the loose ball, Lindegaard blatantly handled, although the infringement was missed by both the official and his assistant.

Foley then forced Mildenhall to push his blistering 67th-minute free kick around the post as Cherries continued to pepper the Glovers goal.

Another loud penalty appeal fell on deaf ears when Lindegaard again handled as he looked to clear his lines in the 75th minute.