Cherries prospect Harry Arter is vowing to make up for lost time after admitting he will be glad to see the back of a miserable month.

Arter yesterday made a goalscoring return when he netted a classy opener in Cherries’ 2-0 win over Football Combination rivals Swindon Town.

The gifted midfielder hit the comeback trail at the County Ground four weeks to the day after he had undergone double hernia surgery.

Arter’s misery was compounded when he was struck down by a nasty bout of flu just days after he had returned to full training last week.

“It was great to be back,” said the 20-year-old summer signing from Woking. “I still felt a bit rough before the game and was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get through it. But I felt fine and everything was okay with my groin. I was just pleased to be out there.

“I couldn’t travel with the first team on Saturday because of the flu and am still a bit bunged up. It was great to get in some game-time and I feel as though I’m over the worst of it now. It hasn’t been the best of months of me and, hopefully, November will be better.”

Arter fired Cherries ahead against the Robins with an emphatic right-foot finish after being teed up by Paddy Hester midway through the first half.

“It was good to score,” he added. “In that position just behind the striker, scoring is important and I know the manager is going to want that player to try to chip in with his share of goals.”

Arter, who had a trial with Swindon last season, has been restricted to just one league start for Cherries – when he was substituted at half-time during their seasonal opener at Charlton, his former club. He also started the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie against Torquay and has made four substitute appearances in the league, the last one coming at Oldham on September 18.

He added: “The first half at Charlton was disappointing, both for myself and for the team. It wasn’t the best way to start my Bournemouth career. I haven’t started a league game since so, next time I play, I will try to grab it with both hands. I’ve learned a lot since then and, hopefully, will become a better player for it.”

Arter was one of eight professionals in the Cherries starting line-up as Joe Roach’s men turned on the style against the Robins, particularly during an outstanding first half.

Lyle Taylor, who was denied when Jakub Jesionkowski saved with his legs early on, doubled Cherries’ lead with a finely-taken goal four minutes into the second half.

Cherries’ teenage goalkeeper Shane Murphy, deputising for finger injury victim Jon Stewart, then took centre stage, blocking superbly after John Campbell had raced clear and also pulling off a breathtaking penalty save to thwart Thomas Dossevi.

Cherries: Murphy, Bradbury, Cummings, Cooper (Ward, 79), Nelson, Partington, Hester, Purches, Taylor, Arter (Bell, 76), Wakefield (Strugnell, 65).

Robins: Jesionkowski, Thompson (Richards, 60), Kennedy, D Evans, W Evans, Grant, Clark, Said, Dossevi, Campbell (Broomfield, 60), O’Brien (Storey, 60). Unused subs: Ryan, Bedwell (g/k).