WIMBORNE were left to rue their inability to defend set-pieces as they conceded a last-minute strike in a seven goal thriller.

With a squad strewn with injuries and COVID cases, manager James Stokoe handed a debut to shotstopper Tommy Scott, who signed earlier in the day from Cross-Stour rivals Poole Town.

After some sloppy passing from both teams, Magpies created the first chances of the game. Harry Morgan was released into the box, seeing his shot from close range blocked, before Truro custodian James Hamon was called into action with a strong save.

It wasn’t long before the hosts found themselves a goal behind, as Truro took advantage of some slow marking at a corner.

Oliver Tomlinson got his head on a corner, and whilst debutant Scott managed to claw it off the line, the linesman on the far side flagged, indicating that it had indeed crossed the line.

Both sides seemed intent on playing the game as fast as possible, making for an entertaining game of football.

Truro almost found a second via a counterattack, with Connor Riley-Lowe’s cross tapped onto the post by Tyler Harvey.

Undeterred by how close the away side came to doubling their lead, Wimborne found an equaliser shortly after the scare.

Pouncing on confusion on the edge of the area, Morgan latched on to a neat back-heeled pass, placing the ball into the far corner.

Magpies could have taken the lead but were denied by the outstretched arms of Hamon, who reacted quickly to tip over a certain goal.

However, Wimborne would get their goal shortly before the half-time whistle, when Curtis Young was well placed to tap home after Lewis Beale smacked the post.

The fans who shuffled into the warmth of the clubhouse would have been forgiven with so little time remaining, but there was still enough minutes in the first half for Truro to level scores.

Again Wimborne struggled to deal with a set-piece after Dan Bartlett gave away a cheap free-kick in area perfect for a cross into the box.

So it proved when Harvey was unmarked and able to nod home, pegging back the hosts in a matter of minutes.

The action picked up straight where it left off, with the Magpies regaining the lead just six minutes into the second-half.

Some sharp passing saw Wimborne quickly advance up the pitch, producing a cross into the box. Whilst the ball was snuffed out, Morgan was well poised to poach possession back, before nailing the ball into the back of the net.

At no point did the game slow down, a fact exemplified by the fact Truro restored parity before the hour-mark.

Scott managed to get a hand to a dangerous cross, diverting it away from the imminent threat of Rocky Neal – only for the ball to instead fall for the unmarked Harvey, who quickly plundered his second of the evening.

After six goals, the chances started to dry up as both sides tired. Neither goalkeeper was truly troubled as the game was seemingly heading to a quiet end.

But yet again Wimborne were left cursing their failure to defend set-pieces, when a free-kick was flicked on to Neal, who duly tapped home a last-minute winner.

Wimborne: Scott, Chugg, Morrison, Jamison, Torniainen, Bosma, Young (Bedford, 88), Morgan ©, Bartlett, Beale, Kellaway

Subs: Langdon (g/k), Henry, Mason, McWilliams

Attendance: 259

Referee: Alex James