WIMBORNE Town were left to bow out of this season’s FA Trophy at the second-round stage after a 2-1 defeat to Larkhall Athletic, writes Graham Dunn.

After a first half that will not linger long in the memory, the sending off of Harry Morgan swung the momentum in favour of the visitors, who took full advantage with two goals in five minutes.

A consolation in added-on time by substitute Joe Freak was too little too late for Magpies.

Boss James Stokoe was without a host of his regular squad. Assistant manager Mark Gamble, and youngsters Jake Carswell, Regan Mason and Louis McWilliams all featured in the hosts’ starting XI.

It was the visitors, with the strong wind behind them, who made the better start. Daniel Demkiv was first to test Alex Cull in the home goal, then Aysa Corrick, coming in from the left, fired into the side netting.

Wimborne's first real chance came shortly after on 18 minutes. Dan Strugnell found Gamble in the Larkhall half.

The centre-forward set Morgan up for a volley which was saved by keeper Shaun Semmens. Curtis Young drove the corner across the goal only for Strugnell to head wide.

Larkhall created two good chances in the first two minutes after the break. Michael Baker lost his marker at the far post from a free-kick on the left, but his shot was brilliantly saved by Cull.

Alex Lambert, the Larks right winger, was beginning to have an impact, and on 54 minutes he cut in from the right to force Cull into another good save.

On 58 minutes referee Samuel Read made a crucial decision. Morgan jumped for a ball in midfield with an arm raised.

His opponent went down clutching his face with Larkhill surrounding the official, and he showed the Morgan his second yellow card of the afternoon.

Larkhall sensed their opportunity. After Corrick's pull-back from the left byline had been spurned, the visitors took the lead on 69 minutes.

Lambert's right-wing cross was headed down and in at the far post by Matthew Britton.

The visitors doubled their lead five minutes later. Corrick drove the ball to Lambert wide on the right.

He turned Billy Maybury inside and outside before firing past Cull into the far corner from just inside the box - it was an excellent finish.

Wimborne had a chance to get back into the game on 82 minutes. Maybury's free-kick went over the defensive wall but also inches over the crossbar.

Young's cross from the right found no taker, before the hosts did pull a goal back in time added on.

Two Larkhall clearances were charged down and the ball ran kindly to substitute Freak who finished with aplomb from 12 yards.

Wimborne: Cull, Strugnell, Arnold, Jamison, Maybury, McWilliams, Carswell, Mason, Young, Morgan, Gamble (J Freak 77). Unused subs: L Freak, Henry, Smith, Stokoe.