Bournemouth were left stung 42-18 in a South West Premier defeat to Hornets.

It was Bournemouth’s defence that induced the penalties to keep Hornets out early but when a kick to touch failed, Hornets exploited a defence which was out of position and scored from a strong run. With the conversion, Hornets lead 7-nil after nearly 20 minute, writes Douglas Warren.

However, Bournemouth soon struck back when Hornets, under some pressure, were penalised at a line-out outside their own 22m and Hancox kicked the goal to make the score 3-7 just two minutes later. However, Hornets were soon coming back at Bournemouth when the inside centre broke through midfield and with good passing going right, Hornets scored out wide. With the kick, Hornets lead 14-3 after 23 minutes.

Hornets were again penalised and Hancox was able to peg the home side back with a fine kick from wide out to make the score 6-14 after 27 minutes.

Promising Bournemouth attacks found it hard to progress in the face of that aggressive Hornets defence. From a scrum, the Hornets attacked first left then right. An exchange of kicks saw the Hornets fly-half break away from the half-way line to score under the posts. The successful kick saw Hornets end a satisfactory half 21-6 to the good.

Bournemouth were forced to concede the ‘bonus point’ score and the Hornets lead 28-6 6 minutes into the second half. Attacking right, Hornets took play into the Bournemouth 22m but when stopped they swung it left and although seemingly stopped short of the line managed to get over to score their fifth try of the afternoon. With the conversion Hornets lead 35-6 25 minutes into the second period.

Hornets were penalised at the restart and Jeffes found touch to his left on the Hornets 5m. Securing the throw-in, they drove for the line but when progress was stalled by the Hornets counter, they released it right. The ball was worked to right-wing Ryan Morrell who had a strong run for the line but, when checked, was able to release to Hutchison to score for his first time. Hancox kicked an excellent goal from wide out and Bournemouth had improved things to 13-35 with half-an-hour of the half gone.

A strong running three-quarters attack saw the ball in Morrell’s hands and the right-winger was over in the corner to register a well-worked score. Hancox’s kick at goal was taken by the wind and the ball just faded past the far post to leave the score at 18-35 pretty well on full-time.

Now into injury time, Jeffes did well fielding the restart and found centre Gleadowe who had a strong run only for Hornets to be awarded a scrum. With the last play of the match, Hornets scored in the left-hand corner and, with the conversion ending the match, leaving them with a 42-18 victory.

The loss means Bournemouth drop two places to sixth in the table on 21 points, with Old Redcliffians and Weston-super-Mare leap-frogging Bournemouth on 24 and 22 points respectively. Next week Bournemouth are home to Ivybridge, KO 3.00PM.