WIMBORNE Town were powerless to prevent promotion-chasing Farnborough cruising to a 2-0 Southern Premier League South victory with the extra man at New Cuthbury.

The visitors totally dominated the game from the first whistle with their fast, flowing football, writes Graham Dunn.

Brave defending and the brilliance of young keeper Billy Terrell restricted them to just two goals from their 40 attempts.

Wimborne manager James Stokoe made three changes to his starting XI from last Saturday's FA Cup game.

He gave a first start on his return to the experienced Dan Cann. Connal Morrison was available again, with Billy Maybury replacing the departed Josh Hanratty.

On 28 minutes, home skipper Scott Arnold and Tom Bragg failed to deal with a high clearance and Joshua Fawole seized the ball before being hauled to the ground.

Referee Alex James decided that Bragg was the last man and flourished his red card.

In Farnborough’s next attack, Elliott Buchanan volleyed against the post, John Oyenuga fired wide and Reggie Young raced through to be thwarted by Terrell.

But on 33 minutes the young stopper was finally beaten. Sam Deering's shot from the edge of the area took a deflection off Maybury and ended up in the net.

At times, Farnborough's rampant attackers were lining up to shoot but somehow Wimborne had kept the deficit to one at the interval.

The second half started in similar fashion. Alfie Saunders's shot was blocked and twice Terrell made flying saves to tip Young's efforts over the bar.

When Wimborne did manage to clear the ball, it inevitably fell to a man in yellow.

Holmes had his next shot blocked, Sam Deering's free-kick beat the wall but ended in the side-netting and Terrell dived low to his right to push away Young's strike before bravely grabbing the ball when it was returned into the area.

But there was still just one goal between the teams and, in the 74th minute, when Lewis Beale chased a through ball behind the Boro back-line, the hosts dared to hope.

However, keeper Dante Baptiste rushed out to reach the ball at the same time as the striker and the ball was cleared.

The second goal came on 78 minutes. The visitors were awarded a central free-kick just outside the box and substitute Nicholas Ciardini rushed on, lined up the ball, and thumped it into the top corner with his first touch.

Shortly after Baptiste had to jump to catch Beale's flick, and Terrell made three more good saves as the visitors comfortably saw out the contest.

Magpies: Terrell, Strugnell, Morrison, Arnold (Gunson, 78), Bragg, Scorey, Maybury, Young (Sinclair, 71), Morgan (Sinclair, 85), Cann (Henry, 61), Beale. Unused subs: Chugg, Jamison.