WIMBORNE'S first ever visit to the Beveree Stadium saw their three-game FA Cup run come to an end in a 3-1 defeat to Hampton & Richmond Borough, writes Graham Dunn.

Despite Harry Morgan's goal and a spirited final 20 minutes, three second-half goals for the hosts had put the tie beyond reach for James Stokoe’s Magpies, who exited the competition at the third qualifying round stage.

Manager Stokoe was again without four of his senior players and, on the good-looking, but increasingly wet surface, the National League South hosts were quickly into their stride with 10 goal attempts in the first 20 minutes.

Wimborne strung together their first passing move on 11 minutes. Tom Bragg to Morgan, who found Lewis Beale to tee up Curtis Young. His shot was deflected for a corner.

The Beavers then immediately turned defence into attack which was stopped by Dan Strugnell. On 13 minutes skipper Scott Arnold cleared a weak shot off the line.

Hampton & Richmond defender Charlie Wassmer's header was brilliantly turned onto the post by the diving Cherries loanee Billy Terrell.

Wimborne had their first shot on target on 37 minutes, but Young's effort with the outside of his boot was at a comfortable height for keeper Alan Julian on his 600th career appearance, as the sides went in at the break goalless.

But within a minute of the re-start, the game took a different turn when a long ball was headed down in the Wimborne box and an attacker tripped in the ensuing scramble.

Keeper Terrell guessed the right way but was unable to keep out Sam Deadfield's well-struck penalty.

Then, on the hour mark, the home side increased their lead. Working the ball onto his left, a shot off the wet turf from the edge of the area was too hot for Terrell to grasp. Deadfield passed the loose ball inside for Jorome Slew to tap in from two yards.

On 71 minutes, the Beavers scored their third. Terrell saved Wassmer's header, from yet another corner, on the line. There was an almighty melee and it seemed that the ball was kicked out of the young stopper's hands before David Fisher poked the ball home.

After surviving another free-kick and two corners, Wimborne pulled a goal back on 78 minutes. Substitute Jake Carswell picked out Morgan.

Coming in from the left, the young striker beat Julian from the edge of the area to net what proved to be a consolation for the away side.

Magpies: Terrell, Strugnell, Jamison (Henry, 58), Arnold, Bragg, Chugg (Carswell, 70), Scorey, Hanratty (Mason, 80), Young, Morgan, Beale. Unused subs: Chipangura, Gamble, Langdon (g/k).