HAMPSHIRE’S teenage batting prodigy Tom Prest inspired his side to only their second Vitality Blast win of the season with an unbeaten 59 helping seal an 11-run victory over high-flying Gloucestershire at the Ageas Bowl.

The visitors needed 20 from the last over but fell short thanks to some fine death bowling from Chris Wood to secure a morale-boosting success for the bottom-placed Hawks who earlier won the toss and elected to bat.

Wimborne-born Prest, who recently scored a triple century in a second XI match, showed maturity above his years in only his third senior appearance after the hosts lost their much-vaunted opening duo of James Vince and D’Arcy Short cheaply once again.

The 18-year-old anchored the innings superbly after the hosts were teetering at 34 for three when Colin de Grandhomme chipped a Josh Shaw delivery to Benny Howell at mid-off for one.

Joe Weatherley’s breezy 30 off 24 balls breathed some life into the Hampshire innings alongside Prest before he fell lbw to Tom Smith who then immediately dismissed Lewis McManus for a first ball duck as the Hawks slumped to 90 for five after 12 overs.

But a crucial 53-run stand between Prest, who hit six fours and two sixes off 42 balls, and 38 from James Fuller saw the Hawks motor to 163 for six before Wood thumped 11 from five balls to help his side finish on 176 for six – their second-highest total of what has been a difficult season.

Hampshire dismissed Miles Hammond and Howell inside the first four overs for the power-play but an 82-run stand for the third wicket from Chris Dent and in-form New Zealand international Glenn Phillips put the visitors in a good position to push for victory.

But Dent fell for 42 when he was stumped by McManus off Short before Phillips, who scored 94 in back-to-back innings last month, fell for 57 when young quick Scott Currie tempted him into a pull shot which he mistimed and was caught on the boundary edge by Fuller.

Needing 47 from the last four overs, skipper Jack Taylor did his best to push for victory with 30 off 18 balls, but some tight bowling from Wood got the Hawks home – much to the delight of the home crowd who witnessed a first T20 win by their side at home in 22 months.