UCHE IKPEAZU’S first-half strike proved enough for relegation-threatened Wycombe to shock a much-changed Cherries 1-0 at Adams Park.

The striker let fly with a sublime left-foot effort after just four minutes – ensuring Jonathan Woodgate’s men suffered successive league defeats.

The reverse left Cherries fifth in the table ahead of their final league game of the campaign at home to Stoke next weekend.

With a play-off place already secured for the visitors, boss Woodgate opted to shuffle the pack for the encounter against the Chairboys, who knew only a win would keep them in the hunt to stay in the division.

Cherries made six alterations to their line-up in total, with the likes of Jefferson Lerma, Dominic Solanke, Arnaut Danjuma and Philip Billing dropping to the bench.

Skipper Steve Cook was left out of the squad altogether against Gareth Ainsworth’s side, who were unchanged.

Former Cherries keeper Ryan Allsop was on the bench for the Chairboys.

And it was the struggling Blues who took the lead after just four minutes. Frontman Ikpeazu battled away from the challenge of defender Chris Mepham.

He was then allowed time to curl into the top corner from the edge of the box past a sprawling Asmir Begovic.

Cherries’ first real chance of note came on 19 minutes. Jack Wilshere’s precise long pass found the run of David Brooks, whose deflected effort fell to striker Sam Surridge.

The England under-21 international’s miscued effort fell kindly for Junior Stanislas inside the box – only for his strike to be hacked off the line.

It was then the turn of Cherries to clear in desperation just short of the half hour mark. Jason McCarthy’s devilish delivery from a corner met the head of centre-back Anthony Stewart.

His powerful header looked destined for the net, but for a goal line clearance from Surridge.

Surridge then almost found the net at the other end. After Diego Rico’s cross was only half-cleared, Rodrigo Riquelme’s driven ball across goal just evaded the sliding striker, who was poised to tap home.

Mepham was then left with his head in his hands after nodding wide a corner from Brooks unchallenged.

Wales international Mepham then spurned another glorious opportunity eight minutes after the break.

After Surridge was fouled, Stanislas spotted the run of the centre-back with a free-kick, who failed to keep down his header from inside the box.

Brooks then must have wondered how he had not scored on 64 minutes.

After running on to Riquelme’s through ball, the Cherries playmaker rounded keeper David Stockdale before his shot was blocked by centre-back Stewart onto the crossbar.

That was to be Brooks’s last act as he was replaced by Shane Long. Stanislas was also taken off in place of Jaidon Anthony, having appeared to have taken a knock.

The contest then petered out as Cherries were left to ponder a second defeat on the spin.

Cherries: Begovic, Stacey, Carter-Vickers, Mepham, Rico (Zemura, 90+3), Pearson, Wilshere, Riquelme, Stanislas (Anthony, 67), Brooks (Long, 67), Surridge.

Unused subs: Lerma, Solanke, Danjuma, Smith, Billing, Travers (g/k).

Booked: Wilshere.

Wycombe: Stockdale, McCarthy, Grimmer (Wheeler, 40), Stewart, Jacobson, McCleary, Thompson (Obita, 76), Adeniran (Knight, 12, Tafazolli, 76), Onyedinma, Ikpeazu, Muskwe.

Unused subs: Kashket, Horgan, Mehmeti, Allsop (g/k).

Booked: Jacobsen.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham