ARNAUT Danjuma's first-half strike proved to be enough for Cherries to edge past Norwich City and maintain their unbeaten start to the Championship season.

With goalkeepers Asmir Begovic and Tim Krul both in good form for the recently relegated clubs, it took a brilliant piece of skill and finish from Danjuma to break the deadlock, lashing into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

Cherries could have doubled their tally when Dominic Solanke headed over the crossbar, while at the other end the hosts stood firm to secure a first clean sheet in the league since the top-flight goalless draw with Tottenham back in July.

The win lifts Cherries up to fourth in the embryonic Championship table with seven points from their three matches.

Jason Tindall made three changes from the side which started at Middlesbrough last time out in the Championship. Two were enforced with Lloyd Kelly missing due to a hamstring injury, while David Brooks was absent due to illness. Meanwhile Dan Gosling dropped to the bench, with Diego Rico, Philip Billing and Lewis Cook all coming in to start.

Youngster Jordan Zemura was named among the substitutes, alongside striker Joshua King for the first time this season. There was also a late change on the bench, with Mark Travers pulling out in the warm-up and replaced by Will Dennis.

For Norwich, both Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia were left out of the matchday squad by manager Daniel Farke.

After a quiet opening 10 minutes, both goalkeepers were called into action with Krul parrying from Solanke from close range before Adam Smith turned wide on the rebound.

At the other end, a good passing move from Norwich led to Onel Hernandez stinging the palms of Asmir Begovic from distance.

Krul was next to be called into action, diving to brilliantly save from a Jack Stacey header, after he connected with Billing’s deep cross.

But the Dutchman could do nothing to prevent his side from falling behind 10 minutes before the break. After Stacey won the ball high up the pitch, he picked out Jefferson Lerma, who in turn rolled the ball to Danjuma. The 23-year-old brilliantly spun away from Christoph Zimmermann and fired hard and low into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Norwich looked for a leveller just before the break with Lukas Rupp’s effort from 25 yards palmed away by Begovic.

Cherries flew out of the traps after the restart, working the ball well to Solanke, who flicked it over for Danjuma to volley wide.

Both sides then exchanged shots from long-range, but both Solanke and Xavi Quintilla’s efforts were comfortable for the respective goalkeepers.

The end-to-end nature of the second half continued with the visitors having a strong shout for a penalty turned down when Max Aarons went over under a challenge from Smith, before Cherries went down the other end with Solanke heading over from a Danjuma cross.

Norwich continued to probe with Aarons firing over before a low Hernandez cross just evaded Teemu Pukki in the centre.

Tindall turned to his bench midway through the second half, introducing King in place of Solanke.

Farke responded in kind, introducing Mario Vrancic for Kenny McLean, who had just headed over the crossbar.

Gosling was next to be introduced for Cherries, in place of Billing as the hosts looked to stem the flow coming from the visitors.

Norwich turned towards referee James Linington for a second time in the half as the game ticked into its final 10 minutes after a corner struck King, with the visitors appealing for a handball, but nothing was given.

The Canaries carved out one final opportunity as substitute Jordan Hugill looked to break through on goal, but the impressive Steve Cook got back to make a vital sliding challenge.

Cherries: Begovic; Mepham, S Cook, Rico; Stacey, Lerma, L Cook, Billing (Gosling, 78), Smith; Danjuma (Surridge, 86), Solanke (King, 67).

Unused subs: Simpson, Ofoborh, Zemura, Dennis (g/k).

Booked: Rico.

Norwich: Krul; Aarons, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Quintilla; Skipp; Hernandez (Idah, 74), Rupp (Hugill, 81), McLean (Vrancic, 69), Placheta; Pukki.

Unused subs: Gibson, Martin, Tettey, McGovern (g/k).

Booked: McLean.

Referee: James Linington.