PHIL Foden’s second-half strike ensured Cherries’ venture in this year’s Carabao Cup came to an end.

The attacking midfielder turned in the winner after Riyad Mahrez hit the post, giving holders Manchester City a 2-1 victory over Jason Tindall’s men at Etihad Stadium.

Liam Delap had put City in front on 18 minutes before Sam Surridge opened his account for the campaign for the visitors, a goal which proved to be a consolation for the Dorset club.

Dan Gosling captained a much-changed Cherries line-up as Tindall shuffled the pack in search of a first ever victory over the Citizens at Etihad Stadium.

Youngster Nnamdi Ofoborh kept his place in the cup side, as one of seven members to have represented the club’s academy setup involved in the matchday squad.

Mark Travers returned in goal for the visitors, while Surridge led the line up front.

Goalkeeper Zack Steffen and striker Delap, son of former Stoke man Rory, were handed their debuts for the home side – who had won the cup for the past three seasons.

The likes of Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling were listed on the bench by boss Pep Guardiola.

Nathan Ake, signed by City for £40million from Cherries in the summer, was among the substitutes against his former club.

Both sides knew the winner of the contest would face Burnley in the fourth round after they overcame Millwall in their respective tie a day previously.

And City almost found the breakthrough with 10 minutes on the clock. A delightful ball over the visitors’ back three allowed young Spaniard Ferran Torres the chance to run in on goal.

His strike from an acute angle was well smothered by Travers, who made himself big to thwart the effort.

The young Irishman was then tasked with denying winger Mahrez after the Algerian was threaded through by England international Foden. Rodri headed wide as the hosts look to stamp their authority on proceedings.

The opener then came for City with 18 minutes on the clock. Foden slipped through fellow youngster Delap on this occasion, who arrowed a fierce strike past Travers into the top corner.

But Cherries were unfazed by going behind and got back on level terms just four minutes later.

A surging run from David Brooks allowed him to drive Cherries towards the City box, Gosling then found England under-21 striker Surridge, who turned and fired across goal into the bottom corner.

A moment of worry then came for the visitors on 27 minutes. Defender Lloyd Kelly picked up an injury, which appeared to be to his hamstring. He was replaced by youngster Jordan Zemura.

City were then hit with a shin injury to Adrian Bernabe, who had to be stretchered off and replaced by Benjamin Mendy.

Guardiola’s side started the second half strongly. A dangerous cross from Mahrez whistled just wide of Travers’s far post.

A powerful effort from Rodri was then charged down before Mahrez blazed over.

But a huge opportunity came the way of Tindall’s men on 54 minutes.

A sublime pass from Brooks set Surridge free on the counter. Powering at goal, his low drive was deflected into the clutches of keeper Steffen. The City stopper was then off his line sharply to deny Surridge once more a minute later.

City then showed their armoury from the bench with De Bryune replacing Rodri and Sterling coming on for youngster Tommy Doyle.

But it was Foden who had the impact to win the tie with 15 minutes remaining.

After Mahrez’s strike cannoned off the post past a sprawling Travers, the ball fell kindly for the City playmaker to turn into the net and win it.

Travers was then clattered by Delap in the latter stages which left him receiving treatment. He was able to see the game through as Cherries bowed out of the competition.

City: Steffen, Walker, Garcia, Harwood-Bellis, Rodri (De Bruyne, 61), Doyle (Sterling, 67), Foden, Bernabe (Mendy, 36), Torres, Mahrez, Delap.

Unused subs: Ake, Mendy, Nmecha, Palmer, Carson (g/k).

Booked: Zemura, L Cook.

Cherries: Travers, Ofoborh, Simpson, Kelly (Zemura, 27), Smith, L Cook, Gosling, Billing, Rico (S Cook, 64), Brooks (Kilkenny, 76), Surridge.

Unused subs: Stacey, Lerma, Anthony, Begovic (g/k).

Booked: Delap.

Referee: Jon Moss.