ASMIR Begovic went from villain to hero in a matter of minutes as Cherries won an epic penalty shootout to edge past Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup.

After a goalless contest, spot kicks were required to separate the sides and after all 10 outfield players netted for each side, the goalkeepers stepped up.

Begovic missed, allowing Wayne Hennessey the chance to win it for the Eagles.

But he ballooned his effort over the crossbar meaning the contest returned to the start.

There, David Brooks slotted home before Begovic got down low to deny Luka Milivojevic and seal an 11-10 shootout victory.

Cherries will now face a trip to Manchester City in the third round next Thursday.

Neither goalkeeper was unduly troubled for the majority of the 90 minutes, with a fierce Jack Stacey shot smartly stopped by Hennessey the closest either side came to a breakthrough before the shootout.

Both managers made wholesale changes following their weekend wins in the league. Only Lloyd Kelly, who captained the side, Stacey and Lewis Cook kept their places for Cherries. There were notable inclusions in the starting XI for Harry Arter and Asmir Begovic, for their first appearances for the club since 2018 and 2019 respectively after loan spells away, while academy graduates Nnamdi Ofoborh and Jordan Zemura were handed debuts.

As for Palace, Jeffrey Schlupp was their only survivor from Saturday’s top-flight win over Southampton with new signings Eberechi Eze and Michy Batshuayi among the starters.

The unfamiliarity of the line-ups appeared evident during the quiet early stages.

The only efforts of note came via long-range from Arter, but they were straight at Hennessey.

A mistake from Ofoborh, playing in an unfamiliar centre-back role, allowed Palace in down the other end. After robbing the Nigerian of possession, the ball fell kindly in the box for winger Nya Kirby, whose low effort was tipped around the post by Begovic.

The first half livened up in the final 15 minutes as Cherries began to threaten. Jack Simpson glanced a Brooks corner wide, before the Welshman turned provider again, slipping a ball through for Sam Surridge. The striker broke through on goal and calmly slotted in, but his effort was ruled out for offside, despite replays suggesting otherwise.

The same duo soon linked up again. After a pacy counter-attack, Surridge picked out Brooks, who turned just wide.

Palace were not without threat themselves with Schlupp’s cross just evading Kirby in the centre, while debutant Zemura was equally close with a cross towards Surridge just before the half was out.

Cherries started the second period on the front foot with Brooks a constant menace. The former Sheffield United man saw a shot deflected wide, before his resulting corner was headed over by Simpson.

Stacey, who netted his first Cherries goal at the weekend, came close to adding his second, with his shot from inside the box blocked.

The wing-back came close again just past the hour mark. After receiving the ball in acres of space down the right, he broke into the box and his low effort was smartly stopped by Hennessey. That was to be his last act as Tindall turned to his bench, introducing Lerma for Stacey, while Dan Gosling replaced Cook.

Neither side was able to work the goalkeeper as the time ticked by, with striker Dominic Solanke called from the bench for the final 10 minutes.

And he was straight in the thick of the action with a neat flick for Surridge, whose shot was blocked. The ball was eventually worked out to Ofoborh on the right, but he sliced high and wide as the game meandered to penalties.

Brooks stepped up first, slotting into the bottom corner, before Milivojevic responded in kind. Surridge and Batshuayi also made no mistake before Philip Billing slotted into the bottom right corner.

Andros Townsend swiftly levelled up the shootout, with skipper Kelly equally cool from the spot. Eze then took the casual approach to the next level, stuttering and waiting for Begovic to commit before rolling it into the bottom corner to make the score 4-4.

Substitute Solanke gave Cherries the advantage, meaning Jordan Ayew had to score for Palace, which he did.

Into sudden death and Simpson was next to step up for Cherries, sending Hennessey the wrong way before Max Meyer converted for the visitors.

Gosling came closest to being thwarted, with Hennessey getting a hand to his effort, but the ball squirmed in. Mamadou Sakho made no mistake in equalising, slamming into the top corner.

Substitute Lerma continued the scoring streak, as did Palace defender Martin Kelly.

Debutant Ofoborh was next up to put Cherries 9-8 ahead, only for Ryan Inniss to also fire home.

Zemura slid a nervy looking effort just inside the post to ensure all 10 outfielders successfully converted for Cherries, before Jaroslaw Jach made it a clean sweep before the keepers were forced to step up.

And that is where the first miss came with Begovic's powerful strike parried away by Hennessey, who then stepped up himself to win it, but smashed it miles over the crossbar.

The players returned to start again with Brooks tucking home before Begovic got down low to palm away Milivojevic's effort to clinch the 11-10 shootout win.

Cherries: Begovic; Stacey (Lerma, 62), Ofoborh, Simpson, L Kelly, Zemura; L Cook (Gosling, 74), Arter (Solanke, 83), Billing; Brooks; Surridge.

Unused subs: Kilkenny, Anthony, Travers (g/k).

Crystal Palace: Hennessey, M Kelly, Woods (Sakho, 61), Inniss, Jach; Kirby (Townsend, 70), Milivojevic, Meyer, Eze; Schlupp (Ayew, 61), Batshuayi.

Unused subs: Mitchell, McCarthy, Pierrick, Henderson (g/k).

Booked: Kelly.

Referee: Keith Stroud.