CALLUM Wilson looked to have earned Cherries a priceless three points in their bid to beat the Premier League drop – only to be denied by VAR at Vitality Stadium.

The England frontman’s overhead kick late on against Tottenham was initially given as a goal by referee Paul Tierney – before video official Michael Oliver spotted the effort had struck Joshua King’s hand on its way in.

The chalked off effort meant Eddie Howe’s men had to settle for a 0-0 draw with the north London side, their first point since the top-flight’s resumption.

That left them three points behind 17th-placed Watford in the table.

Dan Gosling made his first league start since February as Cherries boss Howe opted for two changes from the side which lost at Manchester United last time out.

Midfielder Gosling came in for Lewis Cook, who dropped to the bench.

Callum Wilson returned from suspension up front in place of Dominic Solanke. Steve Cook was named among the substitutes following a hamstring problem.

The visitors felt they should have had a penalty with just five minutes on the clock.

Following a corner to the back post, England skipper Harry Kane went to ground under the challenge of King but referee Paul Tierney gave a goal-kick after a brief VAR check.

But following that early scare, Cherries enjoyed a positive spell in the Tottenham half.

After the hosts won the ball high up the pitch, Junior Stanislas’s through ball narrowly evaded the onrushing King as he was charging towards goal.

Cherries continued to play on the front foot. Jefferson Lerma stooped to try to head Diego Rico’s free-kick towards goal, only for striker Kane to head behind to safety.

The hosts then created another opportunity just after the drinks break. Lloyd Kelly’s flighted long throw fell into the path of Wilson, whose strike on the turn was blocked.

Tempers then flared between Lerma and Spurs midfielder Moussa Sissoko after the latter fouled the Colombian. Both were booked for their reactions in the aftermath.

Cherries almost took the lead right on the stroke of half-time.

After a cross into the box was only half-cleared, Stanislas found room to strike a low effort, palmed away by visiting skipper Hugo Lloris diving to his right.

Cherries suffered a big injury blow after right-back Adam Smith flew full-throttle into an aerial duel with Ben Davies.

After the medics were called on and the defender received oxygen, the former Tottenham man was replaced by Jack Stacey just past the hour mark.

David Brooks then appeared to pull up with an injury and was replaced by Harry Wilson.

Despite the injury issues, Cherries still looked to get forward. King’s surging run saw him get past Serge Aurier before his cutback inside the box was blocked.

The hosts then had to endure two nervy moments in a space of a minute. After Stacey gave the ball away and Cherries could only scramble the ball away – Aurier crossed for Lamela, who headed wide.

Spurs then piled on the pressure with a series of corners and blocked efforts as Cherries looked to dig in.

But with five minutes of normal time remaining, Howe’s men had the ball in the net through King. He headed in Stanislas’s cross, but the official had blown for a foul in the build-up.

Cherries then thought they had won it when Callum Wilson’s overhead kick found the net after they had kept the ball alive in the Spurs’ box – only for VAR to give handball against King on its way in.

And substitute Harry Wilson should have won it late on when he ran in clear on goal, only to be denied by Lloris.

Cherries: Ramsdale, Smith (Stacey, 63), Ake, Kelly, Rico, Brooks (H Wilson 66), Lerma, Gosling, Stanislas, C Wilson, King.

Unused subs: S Cook, L Cook, Surman, Danjuma, Solanke, Surridge, Boruc, (g/k).

Booked: Lerma, Gosling

Tottenham: Lloris, Aurier (Fernandes, 90+2), Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davis, Sissoko (Moura, 75), Winks, Lo Celso (Ndombele, h-t), Lamela, Kane, Bergwijn (Son, h-t).

Unused subs: Sanchez, Sessegnon, Skipp, White, Gazzaniga (g/k).

Booked: Sissoko, Ndombele.

Referee: Paul Tierney

VAR: Michael Oliver