CHARLIE King’s 11th-minute strike gave Bisterne United the verdict 1-0 against rivals Ringwood United in a closely-contested MA Hart Hayward Cup final at Hurn Bridge.

The Bisterne winger latched on to the ball to the left of the Ringwood penalty area and cut inside to drive it between Ringwood goalkeeper Adam Morgan and the far post.

Ringwood responded with a 30-yard effort from Florin Iliescu which brought a good save from Zac Chilman and the Bisterne keeper was soon in action again, diving full length to turn Matt Nabney’s 15-yard strike round the post for a corner.

Ringwood threatened again in the 18th minute when a long ball out of defence put Iliescu clear behind the Bisterne backline.

With Chilman advancing to narrow the angle, Iliescu clipped a 30-yard effort past him that went agonisingly wide of the far post.

King raced away down the left and put a dangerous cross into the Ringwood penalty area but Ringwood left-back Lee Taylor was perfectly positioned to make a vital clearance.

Back came Ringwood with Sam Birt blasting a 25-yard shot only just wide of the Bisterne goal while, at the other end, the lively King broke away down the left again and Ringwood were once more grateful to Lee Taylor for snuffing out the danger with a timely clearance.

Taylor was then involved in midfield, combining well with Iliescu who finished the move by firing a 25-yard strike wide of goal.

Bisterne had a lucky escape when Birt let fly from 25 yards and the ball sailed past Chilman and thudded against the crossbar.

King had the Ringwood defence under pressure dealing with another dangerous cross from the left and, a minute before the interval, he was tormenting them again.

On this occasion the Bisterne winger was sent tumbling by the combined efforts of Paul Jordan and skipper Lee Bellows and a penalty was awarded.

King got up to take the spot-kick himself but Ringwood keeper Adam Morgan made an excellent save, diving full length to turn the ball round the post for a corner.

King had another opportunity three minutes into the second half when the ball came to him at the far post but he couldn’t get enough on it and Morgan was able to come out and smother.

The second half lacked the intensity of the opening 45 minutes but there was a great passage of play when Taylor’s free-kick headed goalwards by Iliescu and Chilman had to produce an excellent reflex save to get the ball up and over the bar.

Ringwood’s Hugh Clark was put through in the 65th minute but his shot was comfortably taken by the diving Chilman.

King was in action again, racing down the left to get in an effort which went just wide of the near post.

Ringwood continued to press for an equaliser but resolute defending by the Bisterne rear guard denied them any opportunities to get on level terms.

Bisterne: Chilman, Baker (Fowler, 86), Tindall, Corlett, Hurll (Revell, 55), King (Jones, 72), Gogan (Peck, 62), Green, Barrett, Seymour, Hills.

Ringwood: Morgan, Jordan (Nash, 84), Taylor, Hills, Bellows, Dyer (Andrews, 84), Clark (Furmage, 66), Burnett (Pope, 63), Nabney, Iliescu, Birt.