GOALKEEPER Jon Webb was the hero as Brockenhurst overcame Hamworthy United on penalties to win the Bournemouth Saturday Senior Cup.

The game required spot-kicks after ending 2-2 with Will Tickle and Mitchell Speechley-Price goals cancelled out by Hammers duo Declan Randall and Louis Coulson.

And Webb, who made a string of saves throughout the contest, provided the vital stop in the shoot-out before netting himself to secure the trophy.

Brockenhurst started brightly at Hurn Bridge with Tickle prominent on the right and, although his path to goal was blocked by the Hamworthy defence, he found James Shorey out on the left whose curling effort from outside the penalty area went just wide of the far post.

Brockenhurst took the lead after 10 minutes when Hammers keeper Ollie King misjudged the flight of Tickle’s 35-yard free kick. But United were on terms just two minutes later when Declan Randall steered home the equaliser through a crowded penalty area after good work on the right by Eddie Hodge.

Brockenhurst regained the lead after 32 minutes when a great diagonal ball from Freddie Bullard put Tickle away down the right. The Badgers skipper picked out Speechley-Price on the edge of the box, who brought the ball under control before despatching it past King.

The second half began with Hamworthy frontman Connor Cocklin putting a header just over the bar. The striker dropped back into defence when Fawzi Saadi had to go off in the 52nd minute with substitute Louis Coulson going up front.

Hamworthy continued to press and Webb produced a magnificent save from Ollie Davis’ close-range effort on the hour and he then made another excellent save from the resultant corner kick.

The Hammers forced another corner five minutes later which found Cocklin at the far post and Webb had to produce another great save to keep his drive out.

It was Jamie Beasley’s turn to test the Badgers’ keeper in the 68th minute with a fierce effort towards the top corner but Webb got his hands to the ball to turn it round the post.

Hammers’ Davis burst down the right soon after to drill in a hard low cross but Webb got down well to gather under pressure at the near post.

It was then King’s turn to excel, diving to push away a fierce low shot from Badgers’ skipper Tickle.

Hamworthy’s second-half pressure eventually paid off in the 82nd minute when Beasley put a superb ball over the Brockenhurst defence for Coulson to run in and head it past Webb.

With the scores level at 2-2 the game went to penalties and, with Hamworthy leading 4-3, their keeper King stepped up to take their fifth spot kick and slammed it against the underside of the crossbar.

Fortunately for Brockenhurst it rebounded in front of the line and Tony Bailey, whose superb stoppage-time strike proved decisive in their semi final, levelled the shoot out with the Badgers’ next attempt.

Webb saved Davis’ spot kick and then the Badgers stopper stepped up himself to slot the ball past his opposite number to make it 5-4 before being mobbed by his jubilant team mates who had charged down the pitch from the halfway line.

Hamworthy: King, Filkins, Saadi (Coulson, 52), Gleeson, Randall, Rolls, Davis, Francis, Cocklin, Hodge, Beasley.

Brockenhurst: Webb, Manufor, Sheibatzadeh, Nwachukwu, Wilson, Newton (Bailey, 78), Tickle, Magookin, Speechley-Price, Bullard (Carbayo-Borges, 72), Shorey.