RYAN Fraser and Callum Wilson continued where they left off last season by netting the goals which earned Cherries a 3-2 victory over AFC Wimbledon in the first pre-season friendly of the summer.

The dangerous pair netted 23 goals between them in 2018-19 and Wilson, who penned a new four-year contract earlier this week, captained the side for the first half in La Manga and struck twice to put Cherries in control.

Both sides made wholesale changes at the break and League One Wimbledon were level just eight minutes after the restart following successful penalties by Michael Folivi and Joe Pigott.

But Eddie Howe’s men regrouped to secure the win with 12 minutes to play when Fraser brilliantly controlled a lofted ball by Nathan Ake and slotted in from the edge of the box.

Howe named a mixture of youth and experience in the starting XI with Lloyd Kelly making his first appearance for the club alongside returning loanees Aaron Ramsdale, Alex Dobre and Harry Arter, young midfielder Nnamdi Ofoborh and two of last season’s stars in David Brooks and Wilson.

Cherries dominated possession during the early stages with Dominic Solanke seeing a shot comfortably saved.

And they got their noses in front when the lively Brooks glided infield and slipped Wilson beyond the defence and the striker shimmied around goalkeeper Nikola Tzanev before walking the ball into the net.

Neat play between Ofoborh and Dobre almost carved out a second goal when the Romanian crossed to Solanke, but his shot was charged down.

But a second goal followed midway through the half when Wilson received the ball from Solanke on the halfway line and used his pace to charge clear, making no mistake with a stunning finish one-on-one with Tzanev from 20 yards.

Wilson netted 15 goals for Cherries last season and he came close to grabbing a hat-trick, turning a low Kelly cross wide of the near post.

Wimbledon struggled to test Ramsdale, who spent the second half of 2018-19 with the Dons on loan, as Cherries led 2-0 at the break.

But that lead was wiped out within eight minutes of the restart.

First, Dan Gosling was caught out by Folivi, putting his hands to his back in the box and the forward drilled the resulting penalty into the bottom left corner.

Fraser looked for a quick reply, but his shot with the outside of his boot flashed wide.

And Wimbledon were quickly level when Stacey was deemed to have handled a cross, with Pigott stroking the spot kick past Begovic.

Cherries had chances to retake the lead with Sam Surridge and Gosling denied by Trott, but between those efforts Wally Downes’ men almost got in front when Pigott struck the base of the post.

However, the Premier League outfit got back in front after a moment of quality by Fraser, controlling a floated ball forward by Ake before tucking in beyond Trott.

Cherries next face Girona in Barcelona on Saturday.

Cherries (first half): Ramsdale; Smith, Mepham, Simpson, Kelly; Brooks, Ofoborh, Arter, Dobre; Solanke, Wilson (c).

Cherries (second half): Begovic; Stacey, Cordner, Ake, Rico; Ibe, Gosling (c), Butcher, Fraser; King, Surridge.