CHERRIES missed the chance to set a new club record Premier League points tally with defeat in an eight-goal thriller at Crystal Palace to round off the 2018-19 campaign.

Eddie Howe’s men needed victory at Selhurst Park to eclipse the 46 points they achieved during the 2016-17 season, but found themselves 3-0 down in the first half as Michy Batshuayi netted a brace before Jack Simpson turned into his own net.

A stunning Jefferson Lerma effort and deflected Jordon Ibe strike reduced the arrears and while Patrick van Aanholt added a fourth for the hosts, Joshua King set up a grandstand finale.

However, Palace netted again through Andros Townsend to seal a 5-3 win.

Following last week’s victory over Tottenham, Howe named an unchanged side for the first time since October.

Palace made the brightest start with Luka Milivojevic lashing a shot from 20 yards against the post with just four minutes on the clock.

Both sides had decent spells of possession during the opening 20 minutes but could not find the killer touch around the box until the deadlock was broken midway through the half.

Wilfried Zaha got in down the right and his cross looped off Adam Smith and into the path of Batshuayi, who held off Steve Cook and acrobatically volleyed in from close range.

Buoyed by the goal, Palace quickly doubled the lead. Zaha fed the ball to Aaron Wan-Bissaka in acres of space just inside the box and the full-back crossed low for Batshuayi to slide in his second.

Zaha continued to cause problems and he played the key role in the Eagles moving 3-0 up. Using his pace, the winger burst away from Steve Cook and Ibe, driving into the box before poking a shot straight at Travers. The Irishman could not hold on and parried it straight into the unfortunate Jack Simpson, with the ball rebounding off him and into the net.

But Cherries got a lifeline on the stroke of half-time. Out of nothing, Lerma collected possession 30 yards from goal and lashed an incredible strike into the top corner, via the post.

Not deterred by conceding, Palace flew out of the traps after the restart with Travers quickly called into action.

The teenager flew to his right to tip away Andros Townsend’s curling effort before standing strong to deny James McArthur from 12 yards.

However, Cherries soaked up the pressure and pounced to net again themselves. Smith broke forwards from left-back and picked out Ibe on the edge of the box.

The winger composed himself before striking low and with the help of a deflection off Joel Ward, the shot nestled into the bottom corner for his first goal in the Premier League since March 2018.

Back came Palace, extending their advantage at the other end. Zaha again played a key role, exchanging passes with van Aanholt, who coolly slotted through the legs of Travers.

Howe turned to his bench with 20 minutes to play introducing Chris Mepham and Lys Mousset and the latter went close to pulling one back, only for Guaita to make a brave stop.

But moments later, fellow sub Mepham flicked on a Fraser corner to King, who turned in unmarked at the back post.

Any hopes of a dramatic comeback were finally quelled with 10 minutes to play as the irresistible Zaha skipped beyond challenges from Clyne and Lerma before teeing up Townsend to volley home.

Cherries end the season in 14th with 45 points.

Cherries: Travers; Smith, Cook, Simpson (Mepham, 70), Clyne (Surridge, 88); Ibe (Mousset, 70), Lerma, Ake, Fraser; King; Wilson.

Unused subs: Butcher, Taylor, Hyndman, Boruc (g/k).

Crystal Palace: Guaita; Wan-Bissaka, Kelly, Ward, van Aanholt; McArthur, Milivojevic, Meyer; Townsend (Dreher, 90+3), Zaha (Sako, 87), Batshuayi (Wickham, 89).

Unused subs: Riedewald, Kouyate, Benteke, Hennessey (g/k).

Booked: Milivojevic, McArthur, Zaha.

Referee: Roger East