GOALS from Burnley stars Chris Wood and Ashley Westwood in three first-half minutes inflicted Cherries first home league defeat against a side outside the top six since the same fixture last season.

Ashley Barnes’s own goal gave Cherries an early lead at Vitality Stadium before the quickfire double from Wood and Westwood handed the Clarets the advantage.

The visitors secured victory just before the hour mark when Barnes netted a routine strike after Asmir Begovic spilled a low cross.

Defeat dropped Cherries one place to 13th in the Premier League table with five games to play.

Boss Eddie Howe made one change to his starting XI, with Adam Smith returning from a hamstring problem to replace Charlie Daniels, who went under the knife this week to treat a kneecap injury.

Cherries stormed ahead inside four minutes with their first foray into the Burnley box thanks to creative wizard Ryan Fraser.

Referee Martin Atkinson awarded the hosts a free-kick on the left flank after James Tarkowski was adjudged to have fouled Callum Wilson.

The Scotland international’s teasing cross was flicked towards goal by Jefferson Lerma before Barnes inadvertently nodded into the net as he attempted to hold off Nathan Ake.

Piercing runs by Fraser and David Brooks almost carved Burnley apart in the 14th minute but Tarkowski was able to intercept the latter’s low cross.

Moments later, the Wales international should have done better when he was set up Joshua King, however his tame effort trickled into Heaton’s arms.

After weathering the early storm, the visitors rallied back with two goals in three minutes to turn the game on its head.

Sean Dyche’s side levelled in the 18th minute from a set-piece. Begovic failed to reach Westwood’s whipped corner to the far post before an unmarked Wood converted from around a yard out.

Two minutes later Burnley went ahead, with Westwood going from provider to scorer. Dwight McNeil drove to the by-line and played in a low cross, which Chris Mepham could only clear to the former Crewe Alexandra midfielder, who despatched his shot beyond Begovic.

Marksman Wilson almost got his side back on level terms in the 24th minute. Sharp passing between Fraser, King and Brooks led to Cherries’ top scorer sending a header just over the crossbar from a great position.

Cherries’ appeals for a penalty after King went down were waved away by Atkinson, while Dyche furiously called for the frontman to be booked for diving.

The Dorset club enjoyed more possession in the closing stages of the first half but failed to create an effort on goal.

Howe made a substitution at the break with Diego Rico replacing Nathaniel Clyne. Smith reverted to his more familiar right-back role.

Burnley started brightly in the second half and extended their lead in the 57th minute.

Charlie Taylor’s cross was spilled by Begovic, who was under pressure from Wood. The New Zealand international cut the ball across to Barnes and the former Brighton striker slotted home.

Several Cherries players claimed the ball had gone out before the cross but their appeals were dismissed by Atkinson.

Ben Mee had a great chance to make it 4-1 but failed to direct his header on target.

Cherries did not produce a second-half shot until the 73rd minute, but King’s header went wide from a Fraser free-kick.

Mee went into the book after scything down substitute Dominic Solanke as he charged towards the penalty box. Fellow substitute Junior Stanislas’s subsequent free-kick cannoned off the Burnley wall to safety.

Cherries attempted to mount a late comeback but Tarkowski prevented Wilson from latching on to Solanke’s header.

Wilson had a great opportunity to get a goal back in stoppage time, however the England international sent his volley over the crossbar after a brilliant ball from Fraser.

Cherries: Begovic; Clyne (Rico, h-t), Mepham, Ake, Smith; Fraser, Lerma (Stanislas, 70), Gosling (Solanke, 59), Brooks; King; Wilson.

Unused subs: Simpson, Ibe, Mousset, Boruc (g/k).

Booked: Clyne, Smith.

Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor; Hendrick (Gudmundsson, 82), Westwood, Cork, McNeil; Barnes, Wood.

Unused subs: Brady, Gibson, Ward, Vydra, Long, Hart (g/k).

Booked: Hendrick, Barnes, Mee.

Referee: Martin Atkinson.