CALLUM Wilson made an explosive return from injury when he played a starring role in Cherries’ 2-0 victory over Huddersfield – the Dorset club’s first away win in the Premier League since October.

Striker Wilson chested home the opener from Ryan Fraser’s cross after 19 minutes, extending to seven goals in six league appearances his scoring run against the Terriers.

And the former Coventry hitman returned the favour midway through the second period when he pulled the ball back for Fraser to slot home.

It was perfect timing for Wilson in particular, given he was being watched by England manager Gareth Southgate ahead of European Championship qualifiers against Czech Republic and Montenegro.

Cherries boss Eddie Howe made two changes to his starting XI, Wilson returning and midfielder Jefferson Lerma restored following a two-match ban. Nathaniel Clyne and Jack Simpson dropped to the bench.

Fewer than four minutes in, a neat move from a corner by Fraser and Charlie Daniels afforded David Brooks space but he failed to connect cleanly with his first-time effort.

Artur Boruc punched clear an in-swinging free-kick by Aaron Mooy before Wilson and Fraser combined and the former saw his fierce low drive blocked by the legs of Terriers keeper Jonas Lossl.

The visitors had looked a threat on the counter and in the 19th minute, that approach bore fruit.

Brooks carried the ball forward and released Fraser on the left, the Scotsman’s teasing delivery picking out Wilson, who cleverly chested into the net from close range.

Huddersfield poked and prodded in response but, unsurprisingly for a team which had scored just 15 goals in 29 league games, they lacked conviction and incisiveness in the final third.

Steve Mounie summed his team's efforts up when he roared away down the right after leaving Daniels on his backside but looped a poor cross onto the roof of the net.

Cherries had done little since scoring but four minutes before half-time, Joshua King side-footed wide from Brooks’s lofted pass.

Then, controversy. Adam Smith pulled up injured as he ran down the right touchline, exiting the field of play, before returning to the pitch and going to ground, much to the displeasure of the home supporters. The full-back was replaced by Clyne.

Five minutes after the restart, Cherries broke dangerously and King’s low cross was cut out by Mathias Jorgensen with Wilson ready to pull the trigger behind him.

Howe’s men were getting plenty of joy on the counter and after Chris Mepham strode purposefully forward, King’s centre was delivered just behind Wilson.

Nathan Ake survived a touch-and-go moment after Alex Pritchard had gone to ground in the box, referee Anthony Taylor unmoved.

And Fraser, if only temporarily, was left on the deck and then moving gingerly after he had been scythed down by Jon Gorenc Stankovic.

It was not long before the Aberdonian was back in the thick of it. King smuggled the ball to Wilson down the right flank and he delivered a perfect cut-back which Fraser steered coolly past Lossl.

Huddersfield tried vainly to ramp up the pressure but still it was Cherries creating the better chances. Substitute Dominic Solanke stung the palms of Lossl, Clyne ballooned over and Wilson sliced King’s pass into Lossl’s grateful arms.

Mepham was required to make an excellent last-ditch challenge on sub Karlan Grant but that was as nervy as it got for Howe’s men.

King might have increased the advantage but despite being next to the goalline, ran out of angle after Ake’s header caused chaos.

The Norwegian then volleyed wide from Fraser’s brilliant left-wing cross.


Huddersfield (4-1-2-1-2): Lossl; Bacuna, Schindler, Jorgensen, Durm; Stankovic; Billing (Löwe, h-t), Mooy; Pritchard; Kachunga (Rowe, 76), Mounie (Grant, 61).

Unused subs: Hadergjonaj, Daly, Puncheon, Hamer (g/k).

Booked: Kachunga, Stankovic, Mooy.

Cherries (4-4-1-1): Boruc; Smith (Clyne, 44), Mepham, Ake, Daniels; Brooks (Solanke, 65), Lerma, Surman, Fraser; King (Mousset, 90+1); Wilson.

Unused subs: Rico, Simpson, Surridge, Begovic (g/k).

Booked: Fraser.

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire).

Attendance: 22,304 (788 away supporters).