POOLE Town further enhanced their chances of a Southern League South play-off place with a comprehensive victory over relegation-threatened Frome.

A double from in-form Cherries’ loanee Jake Scrimshaw along with a strike from Sam Griffin sealed a comfortable 3-0 win for Dolphins – who had Jake Smeeton sent off in the second half at Black Gold Stadium.

Victory increased to six points the gap between Killick’s men in fifth and the rest of the chasing pack.

Rivals Harrow Borough, Merthyr Town and Kings Langley all suffered defeats to boost Dolphins’ top-five ambitions.

Manager Killick told the Daily Echo: “It always helps when results involving teams in and around you go your way.

“Saturday was a good day for us both in terms of our performance and other results – Harrow lost, Merthyr lost and Kings Langley lost.”

Youngster Scrimshaw continued his rich vein of form by recording a first-half brace against the Robins - both times being teed up by Marvin Brooks.

The talented striker poked home in the eighth minute to get Poole off to a flying start, before doubling his tally midway through the opening period, after Brooks nodded the ball down.

Dolphins threatened to undo their good work when Smeeton was dismissed on 55 minutes but Frome rarely challenged Poole’s half of the pitch.

And Griffin settled the affair as a contest when he smashed home from 25 yards 15 minutes from time.

“It was another very, very good win for us,” added Killick.

“Due to the way Frome approached the game, it wasn’t much of a spectacle. Again, that’s not a criticism, that’s just the way they decided to play and it meant the game was a little bit flat.

“We tried to grab our three goals but it was difficult to break them down because they had so many people behind the ball and they weren’t really looking to commit men forward - even when they were two goals down.”

He added: “I must admit I was a little bit surprised, particularly when we went down to 10 men, that Frome weren’t a little bit more ambitious in terms of the way they played.

“Nothing really changed and the game didn’t open up. I’m very pleased with the result and by the way the players played but the only slight frustration is the people watching weren’t given much of a spectacle.

“Our mistake in going down to 10 men contributed to that, because we had to be a little bit more cautious.

“We always say to the team, when you’re playing against a side that is sitting deep, you have to be bright on the ball, to try and move it quickly and, when possible. pass it forward. It’s not always easy when there are so many bodies. If you see a forward pass, you’ve got to make it.

“There is a balance – you don’t want to start forcing things and conceding possession cheaply but I felt in the first half we achieved that balance. Being a man short in the second, we lost a bit of penetration.”

Dolphins, who are now unbeaten in eight games, visit Harrow on Saturday (3pm).

Dolphins: Cairney, Dickson, Smeeton, Leslie-Smith, Whisken, House (Spetch, 57), Griffin, Moore, Scrimshaw (Boote, 80), Brooks, Bedford (Roberts, 67). Unused Subs: Grange, O'Connor (g/k).