BOBBY Reid’s double ensured Eddie Howe suffered defeat in his 400th game in permanent charge of Cherries.

Cardiff star Reid opened the scoring from the spot early on after Steve Cook had handled and then grabbed his second just 16 seconds after the restart.

Cherries created few chances despite dominating possession in the Welsh capital, four days after they had so efficiently dismantled Chelsea at Vitality Stadium.

The 2-0 reverse was the Dorset club’s eighth straight loss on the road in all competitions, as well as a first defeat to Cardiff in 11 years.

Howe made one change to his starting XI, January signing Dominic Solanke handed his debut in place of the injured David Brooks.

Cook made his 300th Cherries appearance in the heart of defence and Jefferson Lerma was deemed fit for the bench following an ankle injury.

The stadium observed a moment of silent reflection for Cardiff’s club-record signing Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson ahead of the Bluebirds’ first home game since the pair’s disappearance.

Supporters in the USW Stand displayed a tribute and captains Sol Bamba and Andrew Surman laid bouquets on the pitch.

Cardiff carved out a chance just 90 seconds in, Oumar Niasse set free on the left side of the box before firing against keeper Artur Boruc.

The Bluebirds were handed a golden chance to go ahead in the fifth minute when Cook raised his arm to handle Josh Murphy’s cross.

Referee Jonathan Moss pointed to the spot and Reid, on his 26th birthday, fired his penalty down the middle and into the net. Reid held up a t-shirt bearing Sala’s image during his celebration.

Cherries were on the ropes and Boruc prevented a gilt-edged opportunity when he smothered at the feet of Murphy from Niasse’s low cross.

Fraser’s curled strike past the post was all the visitors had to show for their efforts in the opening quarter.

In the 27th minute, however, Howe’s men came within a whisker of an equaliser. Joshua King found Andrew Surman and the midfielder’s top corner-bound effort was tipped brilliantly on to the bar and behind by Neil Etheridge.

Cherries gained control of possession and by half-time they had enjoyed 78 per cent of the ball.

But they lacked a cutting edge in the final third and it took a desperate clearance from Adam Smith to deny Callum Paterson the chance to tuck away Murphy’s teasing cross.

Solanke escaped sanctions after he caught Paterson on the ankle in the box, while Etheridge comfortably gobbled up King’s shot in the closing seconds of the half.

Some 16 seconds after the restart – and without a Cherries player having touched the ball – Cardiff doubled their lead.

Reid beat the offside trap and latched on to Aron Gunnarsson’s lofted pass, skipped past Boruc and tapped into the empty net. Cardiff boss Neil Warnock had not even taken his place in the dugout.

Fraser’s appeals for a penalty went unheeded after his attempted cross had struck the arm of Bamba, before Howe threw on Jordon Ibe and Lys Mousset in a bid to turn the tide.

Bamba escaped a second caution for a foul on King and, as the half wore on, Cherries were repeatedly frustrated in their attempts to create clear-cut chances.

With 10 minutes left, Ibe’s free-kick was headed wide by Nathan Ake, who had risen well.

But Cardiff defended with determination and comfortably saw out the game. Substitute Kenneth Zohore might have made the margin of victory greater but was denied by Boruc in the closing moments.


Cardiff: Etheridge, Peltier, Ecuele Manga, Bamba, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Paterson, Reid (Bacuna, 86), Murphy (Hoilett, 69), Niasse (Zohore, 83).

Unused subs: Cunningham, Mendez-Laing, Healey, Smithies (g/k).

Booked: Bamba.

Cherries: Boruc, Clyne, S Cook, Ake, Smith, Stanislas (Ibe, 62), Gosling (Lerma, 69), Surman, Fraser, King, Solanke (Mousset, 62).

Unused subs: Daniels, Rico, Mepham, Begovic (g/k).

Booked: Clyne, Smith.

Referee: Jonathan Moss (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 31,939.