A DAZZLING double from David Brooks ensured Cherries got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Brighton.

The 21-year-old struck either side of the interval to sink the Seagulls and earn south coast bragging rights at Vitality Stadium.

His fizzing 21st-minute strike got the ball rolling for Eddie Howe’s men before the attacking midfielder glanced in Ryan Fraser’s cross 13 minutes from time – four minutes after Brighton’s Lewis Dunk had seen red.

Victory ended a run of three straight defeats for the Dorset club.

Cherries were boosted by the return of Simon Francis as Howe reverted to a back four.

The skipper came in to replace Tyrone Mings in the side which had been beaten 2-0 at Wolves in Cherries’ previous Premier League fixture.

Fraser and Jordon Ibe dropped to the bench with the former having picked up a slight calf problem.

Callum Wilson and Brooks came back into the league line-up having started against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup in midweek.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton made three changes with Florin Andone, Jurgen Locadia and Yves Bissouma coming into the side.

Both teams had sights at goal but failed to find the target in the opening exchanges.

Junior Stanislas sent a free-kick over the bar for Cherries before Bissouma shot over from 20 yards out at the other end.

It was the Seagulls who looked the most threatening and forced the first save of the contest.

Bissouma and Pascal Gross combined neatly on the edge of the box, allowing the former to power through and work Cherries keeper Asmir Begovic, who saved well with his left knee from close range.

Cherries then sought to respond. Andrew Surman’s sweeping pass sent Francis surging down the right. His cross was met by Wilson, whose glancing header fell wide of the far post.

England frontman Wilson continued to threaten. His clever movement allowed Brooks to thread him through.

The former Coventry striker looked for Stanislas but Brighton full-back Bernardo was on hand to clear at the back post.

But Cherries took the lead on 21 minutes through a fine finish from Brooks.

After picking up Joshua King’s pass, the Wales international turned midfielder Davy Propper inside out before picking his spot and rifling into the bottom corner.

Following the opener, the visitors applied pressure.

Solly March linked up nicely with Gross before the German cut back for Bissouma. His shot cannoned off his own man in Locadia.

Gross’s menacing delivery then found the head of Lewis Dunk, whose glanced effort was palmed away by Begovic.

Cherries almost doubled their advantage just past the hour mark.

Stanislas sent a curling free-kick inches wide of the far post after Brooks had been hauled down by Bissouma – with Dunk receiving a caution.

And defender Dunk was given his marching orders by referee Mike Dean after earning a second booking 17 minutes from time. He brought down England team-mate Wilson as the striker tried to charge at goal.

Cherries wrapped up the contest through Brooks on 77 minutes. The former Sheffield United star ghosted into the box to head substitute Fraser's cross beyond keeper Mat Ryan for his fifth goal of the campaign.


Cherries (4-4-1-1): Begovic; Francis, Cook, Ake, Daniels; Brooks (Ibe, 90+1), Lerma, Surman, Stanislas (Fraser, 65); King (Mousset, 86); Wilson.

Unused subs: Defoe, Rico, Mings, Boruc (g/k).

Booked: Lerma, Brooks.

Seagulls (4-2-3-1): Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Balogun, Bernardo; Propper, Bissouma; March, Gross (Bong, 76), Andone (Murray, 80); Locadia (Knockaert, 70).

Unused subs: Bruno, Stephens, Kayal, Steele (g/k).

Sent off: Dunk (two cautions).

Referee: Mike Dean (Wirral).