STAR striker Richard Gillespie scored one and laid on another as Bashley earned their first Southern Premier victory of the season.

Bash boss Steve Riley had predicted earlier in the week that he thought his charges would register a maiden league win against Banbury United - and he was proved correct.

Riley couldn't have wished for a better beginning to the game as the hosts got off to a dream start at Bashley Road.

Winger Dave Wakefield set livewire Gillespie clear in the third minute and his low cross was steered in by the sliding Justin Keeler to put Bash ahead.

Riley's side were indebted to stopper David Elm for keeping them in front just three minutes later.

The keeper did superbly to turn Chris Jackson's 25-yard free kick wide after a wicked deflection had left him wrong-footed.

In what was becoming an excellent spectacle, Bashley's front two - Gillespie and strike partner Ryan Moss, continued to cause the Puritans problems.

Chances to increase the lead fell to goalscorer Keeler on two occasions, but the wide man sent both efforts high over the bar.

With the game moving end-to-end at a fast pace, Elm was again called upon to preserve the lead when he leapt low to deny Andrew Stidder.

The moment of the half came two minutes before the interval, with Gillespie showing a scintillating turn of pace to beat two defenders before arrowing a fierce shot towards the top corner, only for United keeper Andy Wheeler to produce a wonderful save.

After the break, Gillespie went close on a number of occasions but the striker was now being marshalled slightly better, with Banbury's commanding captain Wayne Blossom holding the visitors' defence together impressively.

But, not to be denied, Gillespie doubled the lead in the 76th minute.

He easily skipped past Jackson and squared to Moss. His shot was half-blocked but Gillespie was on hand to tap in from two yards for a richly deserved goal.

Bash were reduced to ten men when Gareth Keeping earned a second booking for handling a corner in his own penalty area two minutes into stoppage time.

Ady Fuller converted powerfully from the spot but Riley's men held things together to register their first win of the campaign.

Bashley: Elm, Gazzard, Ferrett, Castle, Parnell, Knowles (Keeping 23), Keeler, Davis, Moss, Gillespie, Wakefield (Tarr 75).