STRIKER Steve Mounie played a pivotal role as Huddersfield Town ensured Cherries’ seven-game unbeaten Premier League run came to an end at John Smith’s Stadium.

The Benin international scored and added an assist as Eddie Howe’s men succumbed to a 4-1 defeat.

Signed by Montpellier in the summer, Mounie’s powerful header put the Terriers back in the box seat after Alex Pritchard’s opener had been quickly cancelled out by Junior Stanislas.

His second-half strike which deflected off Steve Cook for an own goal then made it 3-1 and a late penalty from Rajiv van La Parra ensured Cherries were beaten for the first time in the league in 2018.

Defeat left Howe’s men 10th in the table after Everton’s victory over Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Cherries remained unchanged from the starting XI who triumphed 2-1 against Stoke City at Vitality Stadium last time out.

The Dorset club were boosted by the inclusion of defender Steve Cook, forced off against the Potters after 13 minutes due to a hamstring injury.

There was also a place on the bench for Adam Smith, who had been nursing a thigh problem. He replaced Marc Pugh in the matchday squad.

Howe’s team selection meant in-form striker Callum Wilson returned to the venue where he made his Cherries debut.

He scored twice when the sides met in the Championship in August 2014 and also bagged a hat-trick against the Terriers in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

Huddersfield went into the contest having plummeted into the bottom three after five straight league defeats. The Terriers had picked up three points from their past eight top-flight games ahead of kick-off.

Boss David Wagner made five changes from their 2-0 loss at Manchester United, with former Cherries full-back Scott Malone one of the players to be recalled.

Cherries started brightly and forced a couple of early corners but it was Town who took the lead on seven minutes.

After Mounie was allowed to race down the left flank, he cut the ball back for midfielder Pritchard, who slotted home at the near post to net his first goal for the club following his January move from Norwich.

But the advantage was short-lived as Cherries hit back thanks to a well-crafted leveller.

Ryan Fraser’s devilish delivery from the right flank found its way to Stanislas, who applied a cool, side-footed finish into the corner of the net to make it 1-1.

Pritchard continued to cause problems for Cherries, however, and midfielder Dan Gosling received a caution after he pulled back the former Spurs youngster to prevent him charging at goal.

Cherries looked a threat on the counter but it was the Yorkshire outfit who fashioned a clear chance to regain the advantage.

After a corner won by Tom Ince was only half-cleared by the visitors, the return ball found the head of centre-half Mathias Jorgensen at the back post. His effort forced a smart save from Asmir Begovic.

But on 27 minutes the Terriers were back in front. After Lewis Cook had fouled home skipper Jonathan Hogg on the edge of the box, Aaron Mooy’s teasing free-kick found the head of Mounie and he nodded into the bottom corner.

The contest continued in a lively fashion and Cherries came within inches of levelling once more.

A corner drilled in by Charlie Daniels found defender Cook, whose low effort clipped the outside of the post and fell to safety.

The lively Pritchard continued to showcase his attacking intent within seconds of the restart.

He charged at Cherries’ goal but sliced wide on the angle, before Mooy took aim and scuffed off target soon after.

Wilson had been quiet in the opening period but almost played his part in restoring parity four minutes after the break.

After Gosling had won the ball back in a dangerous area, his pass to Stanislas allowed Cherries to find the frontman, whose ball across goal ricocheted off a defender and fell into the clutches of Terriers keeper Jonas Lossl.

Cherries skipper Simon Francis was cautioned for hauling down van La Parra before Howe opted to make his first change on 58 minutes, Jordon Ibe being replaced by Joshua King.

But while Cherries went in search of their second, Huddersfield almost extended their advantage.

Mooy was once again the craftsman as he picked out Ince inside the six-yard box but the latter ballooned a diving header into the stands.

It was Mounie who played a big part in making it 3-1 on 66 minutes after capitalising on a Cherries mistake.

Steve Cook gifted possession to van La Parra. Mooy then teed up Mounie, whose strike clipped defender Cook and nestled in the corner past Begovic.

Smith then made his return after a two-game absence when he replaced Cook with 20 minutes remaining.

Mooy’s afternoon ended abruptly after he clashed with Lewis Cook and had to be stretchered off. He was replaced by Philip Billing.

The contest was wrapped up in the fifth minute of added time when the Terriers struck home a late penalty.

Dutchman van La Parra converted from 12 yards after Pritchard went down in the box under challenges from Ake and Gosling.


Terriers (4-2-3-1): Lossl, Hadergjonaj, Jorgensen, Schindler, Malone (Kongolo, 52); Hogg, Mooy (Billing, 76); Ince (Quaner, 65), Pritchard, van La Parra; Mounie.

Unused subs: Sabiri, Willams, Hefele, Coleman (g/k).

Booked: None.

Cherries (3-4-2-1): Begovic; Francis, S Cook (A Smith, 70), Ake, Fraser, L Cook, Gosling, Daniels; Ibe (King, 58), Stanislas (Mousset, 65); Wilson.

Unused subs: Surman, Arter, Simpson, Boruc (g/k).

Booked: Gosling, Francis, Mousset.

Referee: Michael Oliver.

Attendance: 28,823 (1,208 away supporters).