SUBSTITUTE Glenn Murray pinched a last-ditch winner as an experimental Cherries side made the most of Birmingham City's missed penalty and profligate finishing in a 2-1 triumph at St Andrew's.

Captain Michael Morrison put Blues one up five minutes before half-time but there was still time for Lee Tomlin to restore parity from the penalty spot prior to the whistle following a foul on Eunan O’Kane.

Birmingham had a spot-kick of their own when O’Kane was adjudged to have fouled Maikel Kieftenbeld but James Vaughan, who bagged a hat-trick against Cherries for Huddersfield two seasons ago, skied his effort from 12 yards.

Errors at the back should have gifted City substitute Jacques Maghoma and Vaughan goals but with the tie destined for a replay, ex-Crystal Palace man Murray forced home his fifth Cherries goal with a little help from shining light Marc Pugh to settle a cup cracker.

Bournemouth Echo:

Manager Eddie Howe altered his entire XI and gave Ferndown-based Jordan Lee his first-team debut at right-back. Matt Butcher made his second senior appearance on the other side of defence, while another youth-team graduate, Baily Cargill, was handed the captain’s armband.

Fit-again Tomlin started on the right, while Tokelo Rantie kicked off at the scene of his last Cherries goals, a brace in the 8-0 Championship victory at St Andrew’s in October 2014.

Birmingham named seven changes.

Bournemouth Echo:

Cherries endured a scare inside the first minute with Viv Solomon-Otabor breaking down the left but his cutback was somehow lifted over the crossbar by Andrew Shinnie from close quarters.

The Blues continued to cause Cherries problems with Shinnie frequently the architect, dragging a low shot narrowly across Adam Federici’s goal with six minutes on the clock.

Shinnie came close to teeing up the on-loan Vaughan as cohesion continued to be a problem for the visitors during the opening exchanges.

Shinnie jinked inside to find Kieftenbeld, who spread play to Solomon-Otabor to have a shot charged down by the retreating Cargill.

Cherries’ first attack of note came in the 17th minute when Pugh, switched to the right wing, released Rantie in the channel but the South Africa international dallied in the area with support lacking.

Bournemouth Echo:

A driving run from Pugh on the right edge of the box drew the first save from Adam Legzdins, albeit a routine one, but Birmingham kept probing with full-back Neil Eardley in acres of space to provide a low cross that Shaun MacDonald did well to scramble away.

Cherries came agonisingly close to the opener when Pugh’s swirling cross found Kermorgant to head against the bar and then tamely plant the rebound into the grateful arms of Legzdins.

The settled spell helped Howe’s men grow into the game and a slick move nearly opened up the Blues on 29 minutes when Butcher’s run from full-back was touched to Tomlin and his backheel found MacDonald to curl wide.

Pugh and Rantie then combined for the former to fire over as Cherries ratcheted up the pressure but there was a sting in the tail.

Bournemouth Echo:

Moments after Rantie was substituted after a short spell of treatment, a delightfully-flighted David Cotterill free-kick was thumped home by centre-half Morrison from eight yards out.

Cherries put substitute Matt Ritchie on the right, moved Tomlin inside to the number-10 role and Kermorgant up front and soon played round Birmingham to level.

An intricate move down the right ended with O’Kane being pushed over in the box by Jonathan Grounds. Tomlin coolly tucked home the spot-kick.

Tomlin went close with a deflected shot immediately after the restart while box-of-tricks Pugh cut back from the goal line to MacDonald to backheel across goal as Cherries upped the ante.

After a brief lull, matters sprang back into life when Kieftenbeld theatrically went down under the challenge of O’Kane on almost exactly the same spot as the Cherries midfielder had been felled in the first half but Vaughan smashed the penalty high over the crossbar.

As the rain began to lash down, Vaughan was released into space but Cargill did well to hold him up and the cavalry soon arrived in the shape of O’Kane.

Bournemouth Echo:

Birmingham should have gone back in front when Cargill was caught in possession to the right of the box but substitute Jacques Maghoma contrived to hit the post, a feat repeated by the offside Shinnie from a yard out.

A similar mistake from Lee allowed Vaughan to cut in from the right but his anxious 18-yard effort flew wide with the goal at his mercy.

But Cherries continued to play out from the back and got their rewards with five minutes left following a galloping run from substitute Steve Cook, utilised at right-back.

Cook fired in a low centre for O’Kane to force a low save from Legzdins and Murray scrambled home the rebound at the far post with Pugh lurking.

A chance to put the game to bed was passed up when Pugh’s teasing cross was headed against the post by Ritchie as time ticked away and Birmingham kept probing.

Vaughan’s piledriver was saved by Federici and Sylvain Distin had to be on hand to bravely block a David Davis effort in added time.

BIRMINGHAM: Legzdins, Eardley (Lowry, h-t), Morrison, Spector, Grounds, Kieftenbeld, Davis, Cotterill (Maghoma, h-t), Shinnie, Solomon-Otabor (Toral, 68), Vaughan.

Subs: Gleeson, Donaldson, Brock-Madsen, Kuszczak (g/k).

CHERRIES: Federici, Lee (Cook, 83), Distin, Cargill, Butcher, Pugh, MacDonald, O’Kane, Tomlin, Kermorgant (Murray, 77), Rantie (Ritchie, 39).

Subs: Ward, Wakefield, Green, Allsop (g/k).

ATTENDANCE: 13,140 (2,354 visiting supporters).

REFEREE: Mike Jones (Cheshire).