PROSPECT Baily Cargill labelled as "a massive learning curve" his Toulon Tournament experience.

The Cherries youngster played his part in three of England under-20s' five fixtures as they finished fourth on the south coast of France.

Centre-half Cargill was substituted at the break in the 3-3 opener against Morocco and played 55 minutes of the final group game, a 3-1 triumph over China.

Handed a starting berth in the third-place play-off with the United States, Cargill endured a rollercoaster 80 minutes at Stade Mayol.

The defender hit the woodwork with a header before he was harshly adjudged to have handled in the box, allowing Benji Joya to net the US's winner in a 2-1 victory.

Cargill told the Daily Echo: "It was a worthwhile trip for me because I learned so much in a short space of time.

"It was a massive learning curve. Against Morocco, I didn't have one of my best games, which was disappointing.

"That half of football was probably the worst performance I've put in – one of the goals was 100 per cent my fault. But I came back in the last game and played really well.

"I thought the penalty given against me was really unfair. On another day, I don't think the referee would have given it and I think he was a bit naive to give it.

"The ball hit me on the leg and bounced up and hit my arm. It wasn't in an unusual position and it wasn't intentional so I thought to give a penalty was a bit harsh."

Defeat meant the Young Lions had to settle for fourth spot at the tournament for the second year in a row.

Cargill said: "From a team point of view we were quite disappointed. We aimed to finish in the top three and we had an opportunity to do that but lost the last game.

"The way the tournament is set up and the way it went, I think we could easily have won it but it wasn't to be."

The searing heat and spells of inaction proved a challenge for the Cherries youngster but he felt he had benefited from the experience.

Cargill added: "It was tough mentally because I was away from my family and everything I'm used to. But knowing I can cope on my own was good and I think I've gained a lot of mental strength from it all.

"We had a lot of time to ourselves so on a lot of the days we spent seven or eight hours filling time.

"The main challenge was the heat and because games came thick and fast we had to be right mentally.

"But overall, it was an amazing experience. To represent your country in an international tournament is a massive honour and something I will never forget."