CALLUM Wilson revealed how the relief of ending his mini goal drought had been heightened by a sense of injustice during Saturday's Dean Court epic.

The 22-year-old hotshot read City's last rites by capping off a memorable 5-3 victory over Cardiff City in one of the Championship's stand-out results of the weekend.

Despite the free-scoring antics of Eddie Howe's charges, the Bluebirds refused to surrender, halving a two-goal deficit on no fewer than three occasions during the topsy-turvy clash.

But having seen City keeper David Marshall's handball outside the penalty area go unpunished and a penalty appeal waved away after a tangle with Matt Connolly and Sean Morrison during the second half, Wilson still had the last laugh by notching Cherries' all-important fifth with a minute to play.

And after five games without a goal, landing the telling blow to send Cherries back to the Championship summit was particularly sweet for the up-and-coming English talent.

Wilson told the Daily Echo: “I got an assist early on when Matty (Ritchie) scored and there were a few other chances round the edge of the box where I found myself laying it off to other people.

“You wonder when your chance is going to come along but it did in the 89th minute, just as I was going to be substituted so I was delighted to take it so well.

“As soon as I saw the linesman's flag had stayed down, there was only one thing in my mind - it was going in the back of the net!”

It was the ex-Coventry hitman's 12th of a fruitful maiden campaign and 10th in 20 league starts having made the big-money switch from his hometown club over the summer.

“I am happy,” he added. “I want to keep hitting the targets I set for myself and have another one for the new year which I want to achieve.

“I had been on 11 for a long time so I was delighted to get past that.”

Passing his verdict on the two talking points, Wilson said: “I could not really see the one with the goalkeeper as I was competing with him (Marshall) but it felt like it was nowhere near his head and he was outside his area.

“You get a feel for how the ball drops. I was running on to it and would have been through on goal but then the ball went behind me so I got the sense he had handled it. He looked guilty as well.”

On the second incident, he added: “It was a foul and you could say that if the referee didn't think it was a penalty then I should have had a yellow card for diving.”

Wilson continued: “It was a good afternoon but we made it harder work for ourselves than we needed to.

“Sometimes going in front can be a disadvantage because we have sat back on leads but we have learned to be a bit more ruthless.”