CALLUM Wilson’s dramatic late winner in a 2-1 victory booked Cherries a place in the quarter-finals of the League Cup for the first time in their history following a thrilling finale to their fourth round clash with West Brom.

Cherries’ leading marksman broke free to net the decider just seconds after Tommy Elphick’s unfortunate own goal had thrown the visitors an ill-deserved lifeline.

Skipper Elphick, a rock at the back for Cherries, diverted Georgios Samaras’s shot past goalkeeper Lee Camp four minutes from time to set up the prospect of extra-time.

But a pulsating contest was settled in favour of the hosts when substitute Wilson registered his 11th goal of the season – and his sixth in Cherries’ past five games – to raise the roof at Dean Court.

Skipper Elphick was the only survivor in the Cherries starting line-up from Saturday’s 8-0 drubbing of Birmingham as boss Eddie Howe made 10 changes.

Howe’s opposite number Alan Irvine also made wholesale changes, with defender Craig Dawson the only player to keep his place following their 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

Both managers named strong benches though with Saido Berahino, the top-scoring Englishman in the Premier League, among the Baggies substitutes.

Tokelo Rantie and Yann Kermorgant exchanged passes before the Frenchman’s low drive was comfortably saved by Baggies goalkeeper Boaz Myhill inside the opening two minutes.

Dawson, who escaped punishment after catching Palace goalkeeper Julian Speroni in the face on Saturday, was booked for a cynical foul on Rantie after just eight minutes.

Adam Smith’s electrifying run and pass set up another shooting chance for Kermorgant, the striker’s first-time effort charged down by Gareth McAuley.

Liam O’Neil headed tamely past the post after meeting a cross from Cristian Gamboa before Eunan O’Kane followed Dawson into the book for a foul on Sebastian Blanco.

Youssouf Mulumbu’s fiercely-struck drive through a crowd of players was saved low down at his right-hand post by Cherries goalkeeper Camp.

Myhill got down smartly to save one handed after Rantie had taken aim from a tight angle before Blanco wasted a free-kick from a dangerous position when he fired high over the crossbar.

Elphick felt McAuley had handled Ian Harte’s corner inside the six-yard box but referee Paul Tierney, a Premier League newcomer this season, was unmoved.

West Brom’s record signing Brown Ideye was thwarted by Camp after being played in by Victor Anichebe, the Nigerian international, under pressure from Baily Cargill, unable to get any power behind his shot.

As an entertaining opening period drew to a close, Dawson climbed to meet Blanco’s free-kick from near the touchline, the defender’s effort sailing well wide.

Blanco went close to drawing first blood for the visitors early in the second half, the Argentine’s thunderous drive just clearing the crossbar.

But as play switched to the opposite end, a swift counter-attack resulted in O’Kane opening the scoring for Cherries in the 48th minute.

O’Kane beat Myhill with a well-placed right-foot shot, the midfielder fastening on to Junior Stanislas’s beautifully-weighted pass and sweeping the ball into the back of the net.

Cherries survived a loud penalty appeal for a handball shout against Elphick before Jason Davidson’s venomous 25-yarder was parried by Camp.

The Baggies also had an escape when referee Tierney turned down Cherries’ claims for a spot- kick after Smith’s volley had appeared to strike McAuley on the hand.

Ryan Fraser started and finished another well-crafted move, the Scotsman curling his shot past the upright following a cross from Smith.

Kermorgant headed over following another centre from Smith and, while some of West Brom’s big guns were unleashed from the bench, the visitors found chances hard to come by.

However, disaster struck for Cherries when the luckless Elphick diverted a shot from Georgios Samaras past Camp to make it 1-1 with just four minutes remaining.

But from their first attack following the kick-off, Cherries restored their lead when leading marksman Wilson squeezed a right-foot shot past Myhill to send home supporters inside Dean Court into a frenzy.


Cherries: Camp, Smith, Elphick, Cargill, Harte, Fraser (Francis, 74), O’Kane, Gosling, Stanislas, Rantie (Wilson, 69), Kermorgant (MacDonald, 88).

Unused subs: Pitman, Ritchie, Daniels, Flahavan (g/k).

Booked: O’Kane, Harte.

Baggies: Myhill, Gamboa, Dawson, McAuley, Davidson, Baird, Mulumbu, O’Neil (Sessegnon, 63), Blanco (Berahino, 73), Anichebe, Ideye (Samaras, 55).

Unused subs: Wisdom, Gardner, Roofe, Foster (g/k).

Booked: Dawson, Mulumbu.

Referee: Paul Tierney (Wigan).

Attendance: 11,296 (inc 2,176 away supporters).