DEBUTANT Callum Wilson scored twice and missed a penalty as Cherries opened their Championship campaign with a resounding 4-0 win over Huddersfield.

Striker Wilson, a summer signing from Coventry, netted a goal in each half which combined with efforts from Marc Pugh and Yann Kermorgant gave Eddie Howe’s men a straightforward victory at the John Smith’s Stadium.

It was the first time that Cherries had scored four goals away from home on the opening day since 1932.

Goalkeeper Lee Camp was deemed fit following a thigh injury while new recruits Dan Gosling and Junior Stanislas were named on the bench.

Elliott Ward earned a place in the squad after recovering from a long-term knee problem.

Huddersfield were without striker James Vaughan and centre-half Anthony Gerrard due to injuries, while Adam Clayton – seemingly on the brink of a move away from the John Smith’s – was left out.

Cherries got their season off to the best possible start after less than 30 seconds.

Found by Simon Francis, winger Matt Ritchie cut inside off the right flank and floated in a cross for the unmarked Pugh, who controlled calmly before sliding past Alex Smithies.

The hosts found it hard to shackle Ritchie early on and the former Portsmouth man had several efforts, the best of which saw him pull just wide of the left post.

Camp was forced into his first save following a speculative strike from wing-back Adam Hammill, but that was a rare home effort in the opening half hour as Huddersfield struggled to break through the two banks of four.

With the home crowd silenced, Cherries twisted the knife in the 32nd minute.

Latching on to a long ball from skipper Tommy Elphick, Wilson beat Joel Lynch down the right, charged inside and slotted beyond Smithies on the angle.

The Terriers vainly attempted to hit back as Danny Ward brought a diving save out of Camp, before midfielder Oliver Norwood went even closer when he rattled the crossbar with an audacious effort from 30 yards.

Cherries effectively put the game to bed five minutes into the second period.

Following good hold-up play by Wilson, Eunan O’Kane swung in a delicious deep cross and although Pugh’s header was repelled by Smithies, Kermorgant was on hand to apply the simple finish.

Huddersfield might have pulled one back when newly-appointed captain Lee Peltier nodded Norwood’s corner goalwards, but Camp batted the ball into the ground before gratefully collecting.

A later Norwood delivery resulted in a smarter save from Camp when the visiting stopper tipped over a thumping header from defender Matt Crooks.

Moments later, it was 4-0. Ritchie was tight to the touchline when he swept in a searching delivery that Wilson prodded just inside the near post, the weak contact deceiving the frustrated Smithies.

Wilson could have completed his treble with 15 minutes to play, but after he was brought down by Smithies, the former Sky Blues hitman struck his spot kick straight at the keeper.


Cherries: Camp; Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels; Ritchie, Arter, O'Kane, Pugh (Stanislas, 90); Kermorgant (Gosling, 82), Wilson (Rantie, 82).

Unused subs: Harte, Ward, Pitman, Buchel (g/k).

Booked: Cook.

Terriers: Smithies; Crooks, Peltier, Lynch; Hammill (Scannell, h-t), Norwood, Hogg (Coady, 69), Majewski (Lolley, 57), Dixon; Ward, Wells.

Unused subs: Wallace, Smith, Stead, Murphy (g/k).

Booked: Smithies.

Referee: Scott Duncan (Tyne and Wear).

Attendance: 12,371 (including 550 away supporters).