FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house fire in Sherborne after a boiler caught fire.

The incident happened in the early hours of Friday morning at a three-storey property on Long Street.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said they were alerted to the incident at 12:33am.

Two crews from Sherborne Fire Station attended the scene.

On arrival smoke could be seen issuing from the front door of the property.

The fire started from the kitchen area of the building and firefighters used hose reel jets and fire extinguishers to put out the flames.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The fire involved a gas boiler located in the kitchen area of a building of three floors.

"The crews used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, a carbon dioxide extinguisher and a safety jet to extinguish the fire.”

Crews returned to their station at 1.30am.