A MAN who stabbed another man during an altercation outside a kebab shop in Poole has been jailed.

Rory John O’Leary, 21, of Belben Road in Poole, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Wednesday, February 14, for a total of three years and three months in prison.

He admitted charges of unlawful wounding, criminal damage, assaulting an officer in the execution of their duty, a racially aggravated public order offence and breaching a suspended prison sentence.

At around 1.20am on Saturday, July 29, 2017, Dorset Police received a call from the ambulance service reporting that O’Leary had been in the back of an ambulance receiving treatment for an injury to his hand after claiming he had punched someone and punched a window.

The ambulance crew managed to put a bandage on O’Leary’s hand but he then refused further treatment and ran off. They then saw him chasing another man on Lagland Street.

A few minutes later, the ambulance reported that another job had come in from the same area, of a man in his 20s being stabbed.

The victim and O’Leary were involved in an altercation outside Munchies kebab shop in Old Orchard and the victim was taken to hospital for treatment to stab wounds to his forearm and arm pit, which subsequently required several operations.

O’Leary was arrested at around 1.45am in High Street, Poole. Officers noticed that two windows had been smashed where he was located.

He was then taken to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital for treatment to his hand injury and was abusive to hospital staff and police officers while he was there.

When he was taken to Bournemouth police station he kicked out at an officer, making contact with their right leg.

O’Leary was put in breach of a suspended prison sentence, which was imposed in April 2017, for an offence of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Detective Constable Jo Regan, of Bournemouth CID, said: “Rory O’Leary subjected his victim to a violent attack and it is fortunate the injuries sustained were not even more serious.

“Dorset Police will not tolerate violence of this nature and I hope this case demonstrates that we will take action to ensure those responsible face justice before the court.”