A mum-of-five escaped a blaze which swept through her wooden bungalow thanks to the frantic barks of her dog.

Valerie McKenna fled into the street in her night clothes after Jack Russell cross Beau raised the alarm at their home in Gordon Road, Highcliffe at 8.15am today, Thursday April 21.

The family home was totally destroyed in the fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the kitchen.

Dorset Fire and Rescue said the home did not have a working smoke alarm.

Three fire crews from New Milton and Christchurch tackled the fire, which involved 30ft flames and spread to a neighbouring property.